Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FISHNFOOL

Rays found in New Jersey question

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of, been to, or seen a website of rays. I caught something I have never seen in my 47 years and really want to find out as much as I can about this critter. It was caught in the inshore waters behind IBSP and was mistakenly snagged on its wing with a fin s fish. It had around a 9 to 9 1/2 wing span and was shaped different than all the other skate and rays I have seen. The nostrals were on top and the tail was extremely small. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

View PostThe bayside behind ibsp is LOADED with various types and sizes of rays. So many that you really need to watch where you are walking.

I would shart myself if I stepped on a ray with a 9 1/2' wingspan. cwm31.gif

What I want to know is, what kind of outfit are you using with a Fin-S fish, in the back bay, that can land a Ray with almost a 10 foot wing span which has been foul hooked???? Whats your estimated weight? Sounds like a 400 pounder, at least.

caught 2 of these monsters the other day smile.gif one helluva fight !!! was amazing how strong these things are.... i fought each one for about 10-15 minutes, with the drag cranked down on my penn 750 spooled with 65lbs braid on a 12' surf rod.... better workout for my rod arm than anything i've ever done at the gym beers.gif

View Postwas it like this?

justin_ray.jpg

Thanx for the suggestions and help, the picture above looks nothing like the critter I took. That one pictured looks like a ray, the critter I hooked was like a huge fat/wide surfboard, almost oval in shape. The ray was caught on a lami 81ls with a stratic 2500 fh loaded with 30 PP. It spooled me twice but hung parellel to the coast, so I was able to run (And I mean run) him down. He sat on the bottom most of the time, which I answered with snaps on the line which he didnot like and would begin to move. After the first mind blowing run he turned and headed back at me just as soon as he hit the backing, Thank god. The next run was non stop till I could see the spool coming, it stopped suddenly and surfaced. After that he just hung in the incoming current and held tight. About 1 hr into it he came to the top and began flapping angrily and showed signs of slowing down. All said and done it took probably the better part of 1 1/2 hrs to sneak it to shore where it was exhausted. We tried to find a place to grab the thing but thought better of it because we had no idea what it was or if it would hurt it. After a few shots of it at the watersedge, we helped it slip away in a boat wake break and it swam of slow. I do not know how to get the pictures off my phone and onto the puter. I will gladly picture text someone with the ability to help.. I gotta find out what this critter was.. And as far a weight???? It was really thin and I would guess at over 100 lbs easy. WWe held my lami above the ray and found its length to be about a foot and a half longer. Thanx Bill

View PostThanx for the suggestions and help, the picture above looks nothing like the critter I took. That one pictured looks like a ray, the critter I hooked was like a huge fat/wide surfboard, almost oval in shape. The ray was caught on a lami 81ls with a stratic 2500 fh loaded with 30 PP. It spooled me twice but hung parellel to the coast, so I was able to run (And I mean run) him down. He sat on the bottom most of the time, which I answered with snaps on the line which he didnot like and would begin to move. After the first mind blowing run he turned and headed back at me just as soon as he hit the backing, Thank god. The next run was non stop till I could see the spool coming, it stopped suddenly and surfaced. After that he just hung in the incoming current and held tight. About 1 hr into it he came to the top and began flapping angrily and showed signs of slowing down. All said and done it took probably the better part of 1 1/2 hrs to sneak it to shore where it was exhausted. We tried to find a place to grab the thing but thought better of it because we had no idea what it was or if it would hurt it. After a few shots of it at the watersedge, we helped it slip away in a boat wake break and it swam of slow. I do not know how to get the pictures off my phone and onto the puter. I will gladly picture text someone with the ability to help.. I gotta find out what this critter was.. And as far a weight???? It was really thin and I would guess at over 100 lbs easy. WWe held my lami above the ray and found its length to be about a foot and a half longer. Thanx Bill

Send the pics to your e-mail and then save them. You should then be able to post them here.

View PostTried the emai, thing carrier says I am not set up to email over my phone, Thanx anyway.

I'll pm you my phone number you can send it to me and I will put it up for you.