Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Topside2

The season so far...rate it

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I had a decent June, but the first 5 days of July have been a total bust. I am even having a hard time finding macks...

all it takes is a few maurauding bluefish to make the macks scarce.

Can't rate the season yet, My cape cod season just ended and my southern maine just started.....

Fair. Still few schoolies, more 26 to 30s haven't seen a hog yet.

Top it off, life has been getting big in the way this year. I am wide open this fall, I am going to fish it like a madman.

Great start (and early too). Fish were much larger than usual for time of year. From mid-June on it's been awful.

Early season (before the deluge started) was ever-so-slightly better than last year, so I'd say poor but not horrible. Since the rains began it's been absolutely terrible - as bad as I can ever remember it being- I haven't landed a fish in over a week.

Having a hard time finding stripers in Portland/Caso Bay. Spent two days fishing hard this weekend and nada. Picking up macks in June was EZ. Now it's work. Caught a freaking seal by the lip Saturday in Broad Sound. Cant find schools of shorts or an occaisional cow. So, my season's been lousy so far.

That said, I'm having a great time fishing. Not catching.

How about those thunder storms on Saturday? Now THAT was exciting.

I had minimal luck last week on Bailey Island. Managed 2 slot fish (cookie cutter 25's) fishing breaks in the weather. ENE WIND ALL WEEK. Fly fishing produced a 44" fish in Harpswell for my friend. No schoolies anywhere, which should be a concern to anyone who fishes Maine waters. At night you can take all the macs you could want at the Harpswell lobster docks at high tide.

Sounds like a broken record...same experience for me. Pretty solid start up through Father's Day and then nothing. Hoping it is just the rain and things start to pick back up.

it's been off and on in southern maine and new hampshire (mostly off) compared to other years. Havent landed a fish over 25" so far since this rainy spell. I hear talk of unbalanced pH levels driving the fish deeper. anyone have any insight if this is truth?

extremely slow this last 5 days... two weekends ago my brother and I were doubling on 25"ers.. yesterday we got one fish each-- no boats in sight, so it must be bad to say the least... bluefish are in early and that never helps, plus the 8 inches of rain stinks... fresh water is rarely good for fishing

I've had one good outing so far where I caught double digit slots but other than that it's been 2 fish tops most trips. Macks are still around but had to really look for them this past weekend.

I do not have a past year of stripper fishing to compare to but I have been out as much as posable and and only been scunced a cople of times (this morning was one of them) The fish have ranged from 18-36'' most thought were around 24-27. I Have hade the best luck when bait wasent so thick and it may tack me 30min or more to catch a alwife but knowing each alwife I hade meant a hungry spriper would be on my line in just a min.

But eather way I have been having a blast catching/realesing same nice fish

Tobiascwm15.gif

wet & cold. Portland is still reading upper 50's lower 60's. Fishing near mouths of any rivers has been a bust. most rivers are brown and full of silt.

I'm still using spring tactics this late (surface lures, fishing during the day, bright colors)

Over all better then last year. a few slobs, most fish in the 24-30" but faring a fish or two on each outing...and I go 4 times a week or so. Been doing well on falling tides at creek mouths that are mostly tidal. many smaller fish stack up as the rain has been pushing small bait out.