Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

One small thing learned

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Holiday weekends make for lousy fishing. Beautiful, sunny, holiday weekends with bright, clear, high-pressure areas and brilliant moons make for lousy surf fishing. I visited the water, but casually, with binoculars at hand, for the ease of my soul rather then for fishing. (Isn't it odd how many problems are soluble in salt water?)

Anyway, I did confirm one thing that I'd read, but not tried. Chap-Stick is, as often described, a nice lubricant for getting blood knots in different tests of fluorocarbon to snug up easily. 50/30/15 lb leaders were much easier, with a little ChapStick as knot lubricant, to snug up.

It was a drop-dead-pretty weekend, nice to meet friends and enjoy a parade.

I cleaned a couple of lines, epoxied a few flies, and spent a pleasant hour on leader work. Small happinesses, and I cherished all of them.

Friday AM at M was D-E-A-D.

Like 5 people soaking chunk and that was about it.

I didn't try very hard, was more of a scenic tour. smile.gif

Traffic sucked headed back to Sag though. cwm13.gif

Def agree, was a beautiful weekend, sunburn, good food, watching the world go by. biggrin.gif

Montauk on a holiday weekend? You're braver then I am. The thought of the traffic makes me twitch with horror.

OTOH the air temperatures are favorable for a reasonably fast cure of the 30-minute epoxy I use. wink.gif

Brian, all I can say was you were sadlt not in the same place as me. I spent Thursday night into Friday anchored around Shelter Island just planning on spending a couple of days with the wife paddling the yak around the harbor for a bit of fun. I woke at 02:00 for an anchor check and had bass all around the boat! Managed to land two to 26" before the bait moved out of casting range.

The next morning we wake up toss back a couple of cups of coffee and scones and head out for a paddle. After an hour or so we came across a box turtle floating in the middle of the bay so we pull over to give him a lift back to land and the good karma started to flow. Pockets of nervous water start popping up all around and again bass everywhere, this time mostly smaller schoolies hitting small sand eels. The wife paddled me around, we share a tandem that converts to a single, while I got to cast and take a few more in. One of the best days of fishing in a long time and the looks on the faces of a few of the guys on the other boats anchored around us watching my wife paddle me around while I fished was priceless cwm27.gif

I try to avoid traveling on the holiday's.Having been a professional driver all my life I have seen enough traffic for 3 life times.Also being on the boat on the 4th of July ( Jone's Beach Area ) is like New Years Eve in Times Square.kooky.gif

Spent a relaxing week-end in the back yard with some good people & some good Ole BBQ.

I stayed home all weekend. Had fun with some schoolies in an upper bay RI river. No crowds no traffic, Had the river all to myself. smile.gif

Nice fish Formula 1 They are tasty. Would have been sweet on a fly rod!!!

Alas, it's true .... I was neither in Rplace's boat, nor with Formula and Ms.1 chasing dolphin. Well, good for you both. The brilliant moon and clear skies of the next couple of days discourage me; the very low local winds are encouraging the skeeters (just got nipped out of my back yard.) A fine time to sit and review back copies of Fly Fishing in Salt Water and tie little-tunny patterns, of all kinds.

View PostVery Nice,but that looks a lot like a spinning rod to me??beatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gif

The one caght by my significant other was on a spinning rod, yes, but pretty much all my fish are fly caught.