Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
parents2one

how do i get my boat back to white?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

around the stern where the lower unit comes through it is turning a rusty color. i have tried purple power, and lime away and it just wont go back to white. its a salt water boat but it is trailored so it dont stay in the water. what is there that is not expencive i can use to clean my boat?thanks in advance

do i just spray it on and let it sit for a few secs or scrub it. i used toilet bowel cleaner on my old skiff when i got her but it didnt have much rust color. will that work better since its thicker?

View Postaround the stern where the lower unit comes through it is turning a rusty color. i have tried purple power, and lime away and it just wont go back to white. its a salt water boat but it is trailored so it dont stay in the water. what is there that is not expencive i can use to clean my boat?thanks in advance

Try Marykate On & Off hull cleaner.

View PostTry Marykate On & Off hull cleaner.

On Off Hull Cleaner is a good product but beware it's a highly toxic product.You can get it at any boaters store.Be very carefull if you plan on using it.It sells for about $12.00 for 32OZ. You might want to try Soft Scrub with bleach & a Little elbow grease!

A third bump for On/Off. If your boat is on a trailer be careful to cover galvanized meta because that stuff will strip the galvanizing off it. i use it on my waterline annually. Spray everythign down afterward with lots of water.

Try Bar Keepers Friend mixed to a paste with water. You can buy it in your supermarket or hardware store for about $1.19. Every boat owner should have a can or two of this stuff. It takes rust stains out of my gelcoat - but it may depend on what shape (how porous) your gelcoat is in.

If that doesn't work, bring out the bigs guns, and that would be the MaryKate ON/OFF cleaner.

Those are your only two options, if the stuff is really stained into your gelcoat. All the other remedies, like SoftScrub w/bleach, may or maynot work if it is not more than a surface stain.

You can get On -Off at the hdwr store as wood cleaner. Just check the ingredients for a product that contains Oxalic acid. It is strong stuff, Do NOT mix it with bleach. wet down your trailer before using and rinse any drips off it immediately - it eats aluminum. Use rubber gloves, etc.

The stuff works like magic. Takes off tanin stains.

on /off...make sure to do it on a breezy day....or wear a respirator...its nasty stuff if you inhale it accidentaly...i had a buddy of mine almost pass out...also wear eye protection...it only takes one small splash....happened to another friend this spring while doing the bottom of his hull...burned his eye, had to wear a patch for 2 days...he's ok though....just said it hurt like hell when it happened......but, it is great stuff though..

no there is no rot in the trans. or anything leaking from the lower unit. its just from the salt. and there is no pitting its on the surface. ill try the soft scrub and it that dont work ill try that bar keepers. but the soft scrub should do the trick. ill try on my next free after noon. thanks everyone. happy boating

to the guy who said try "bars keepers friend" that worked great. i sprayed the stern first and used an old hand broom with soft horse hair. and got that wet and sprinkled the bars keepers on that and scrubed it and let itsit for about 3-5 mins. it even got my steal lines going to my lower unit clean again and they were brown. man thats a very cheap way to get your boat clean. as soon as it dried i washed it with zip wax and it made it shine like new. very cool deal man, thanks a million. everyone needs to try this. on/off might work good but this is like 10xs cheaper.