Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littlemoe

Emerald Isle surf fishing 25 July-1 August questions...

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi folks. Our family is getting ready for our biannual get-together in Emerald Isle and I'm doing a little homework before hand. From everything I've been reading this time of year is pretty slow for surf fishing, with the water being so warm. Any tips? I'm bringing a 10' Abu Garcia fast taper rod w/ a Berkeley 820 spinning reel spooled with 20lb line. Planning to break out the binoculars and spend some time checking the surf for holes, sloughs and rips the first day or so. Appreciate any help :*)...Chris

I live about 45 minutes south of EI and can tell you get out first thing in the morning and later in the evening.Fishing from a Pier might be a option too.Forget about the middle of the day ,Its just too Hot now.

View PostI live about 45 minutes south of EI and can tell you get out first thing in the morning and later in the evening.Fishing from a Pier might be a option too.Forget about the middle of the day ,Its just too Hot now.

Jellybear is right. Be on the beach BEFORE the first light of day for the Spanish bite. As the sun starts rising the bite will gradually slow down and by 7:30 or so its done. Late evenings are another possibility but I usually do better in the mornings. 1oz glass minnows(sold at Freemans in Atlantic Beach), stingsilvers or also diamond jigs(I like em because theyre cheap and effective) all work. During the day nothing wrong with soaking some shrimp or better yet some sand fleas for Pompano in the surf while you're on the beach with the family. Lots of swimmers to deal with though. Dont cast too far out. Pompano are alot of the time right in close to the wash. Good luck ! I really like the Emerald Isle area.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info :*) Any thoughts on float fishing for spinner sharks? Went out on a boat for them last time I was down, and was a lot of fun. Was wondering if I can rig up an oversized slip rig with a large float heavy enough to cast out with.

thegreeneone, thanks for the heads-up on Dare County. Jdawg here's a link to the 2009 NC Recreational Coastal Guide for Sport Fisherman (April's version) http://www.ncdmf.net/recreational/recguide.htm

Can't find a site that breaks down the regs by county; checking with whichever local bait/tackle shop you go to when you come down should help ya out :*)

GreenOne,

Don't know who "they" were. There is no regulation passed by NC that would specifically prevent you from shark fishing from the surf. I checked Nags Head's town website and I see nothing there that would prevent you from specifically targeting/fish for sharks from the surf. I checked the Code of Ordinances for the County of Dare and I can find nothing that would specifically prevent you/make it illegal to fish for sharks from the surf. As Yogi/JellyBear has said most if not all piers ban shark fishing at certain times of the year.