Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DAndrews

Airing Down Drive-bys

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Seems like more than ever I'll be airing down and vehicles entering the OSV area of Assateague will drive on by without doing the same. The reason this is an issue, of course, is because of the 145 vehicle limit and the "mad dash" to get on the beach before the closure (or as far ahead in line as possible when the beach closes.) As most of you know, once the 145 limit is reached it can be a long wait to get on. I typically stop and air down because the truck operates much better at 20psi and it's easier on the engine as well. I've also been of the impression that those that got there before me have the right to get on the beach first. However, I'm not sure I can continue to watch others that arrived after me pull on the beach before me becaue they chose to not air down. The fact that I've got three youung children also adds to the pressure to get on the beach asap. Just curious what others do? I know this is not as issue for those that arrive real early or real late but for some of us that's not an option.

MQ, This one of my pet peeves as well. First thing is its down right rude to "jump" ahead. Secondly is the notion that that they don't need to air down, that their rig runs the beach okay at street pressure. Horse hockey! We all see the "washboard" ruts they leave in the tracks as they barely stay on top of the sand. I wish that they just get stuck, hopefully without blocking the ramp.

Be interesting to see what others think.

I always air down. I have had people butt in line, so to speak. I had one guy butt, as I drove on, he was rutting up pretty good. He pooled up along side of me, for a day of soaking bait.

Latter on that day, I asked if he aired down, he said "NO" got to get on the beach before the limit.

Me being not real PC, I said, if you get stuck, you can count on me just driving by. He said, "That's not cool!" I said, " I touch myself!" You probably just took a guys spot I'd like to fish near.

He and asrsehole buddies kept to themsevles the rest of the time.

The only good thing is they didn't stay long.

Arse holes ruin every good thing, for the social good people.

Morals have left the building. I have morals at all times, but when someone acts out, I have no problem putting them were they belong.

To say the least, I've been pissed a time or two.

I air down first. Yes, the line can be long to get on the beach, but with my 3/4 ton truck running 70 psi, I won't get to the line if I don't air down. I agree it's rude, but who really cares about ethics anymore this day and age?confused.gif

Sorry but the air down pullover is not the line. When the family is along we usually have to make a stop for something. I usually make it Buck's and someone will air down while another is in the store. Saves time and maybe a few spots in the line. I ain't butting when I go around you at the pumps.

like plug said

or just get in line then air down geesh what's your problem

or just get out on the beach then air down

wr, you are the ********. instead of picking fights with others enjoying the beach, why not take out your negative energy on the people who have closed over 1/2 of the beach... the NPS, Autoban, DOW, and spineless politicians and orv clubs who really don't care about access

gl,

steve

Please Steve, let's keep it respectful, no name calling. Plug

Before I moved to MD, I used to stay in hotels around ocean city for a week and my tires never went above 20 psi the whole week until I was ready to come home. I never had to stop to air down at the pumps because my tires where already aired down. Of course this wasn't during the summer because I always planned my trips in the fall when the hotel rates dropped.

I help teach a driving on the beach class at CHSP. I tell everyone to air down. I also tell them that if they are stuck and ask" did you air down?" and you say no I just drive by. Most are abiding of the air down suggestion. I also help do the safety checks at both CHSP and DSSP and have asked if they air down and suggest it when they say no. CHSP has no problem with us asking but I was told "that is not required" at DSSP. It rutts the beach at both places. Not sure what was up with that. Another pet pieve to me is the shovel. I have seen everything from snow shovels to those shovels you put on your hands. At the class I tell them" if you have an army folding shovel, I will loan you mine. If you have a real shovel I will get mine out and help."

Rick

View Post Just curious what others do?

View PostSorry but the air down pullover is not the line. When the family is along we usually have to make a stop for something. I usually make it Buck's and someone will air down while another is in the store. Saves time and maybe a few spots in the line. I ain't butting when I go around you at the pumps.

^^ yup.

I think there are two things to be noted here.

One, is the possibility that a vehicle may be already aired down at the time they arrive at the dune crossing. (This is often the case with me when I am camping there for more than a day.)

Two, I agree with the complaint of not airing down at all. It's ignorant, and all that wash boarding on the approach is totally unnecessary IMHO.

You can tell sometimes though who hasn't by the ones that put the gas pedal down and try to blast their way up the dune. Somebody like this should not be helped if they get stuck, they should be towed off the beach or crossing and not allowed back on. My .02

Thank god I don't usually see this mayhem that you more local regulars deal with in the middle of the summer. Been about 10 years since I've tried to be at Assateague on the 4th of July. Not only was there an ORV closure, the Rangers weren't even letting any more on to the Island at all - were stopping cars at the bridge and sending them into the State Park Launch area.

Good luck to any of you folks heading out to brave the crowds this weekend.

Agree with plug...many people air down before the pumps...I air down before I leave my house if I think there may be a wait...sorry, but my air is out and I ain't waiten...

This is good info. I have always been reluctant to drive from home aired down but I might take it down to 25 and do as it seem most are doing. I can also see where someone with the Oasis tire deflators could put them on prior to arriving at AI and have the desired pressure by the time they hit the sand and wouldn't have a need to stop.

View PostThis is good info. I have always been reluctant to drive from home aired down but I might take it down to 25 and do as it seem most are doing. I can also see where someone with the Oasis tire deflators could put them on prior to arriving at AI and have the desired pressure by the time they hit the sand and wouldn't have a need to stop.

I would not advise driving on low tire pressure if your a fair distance away...I live less then 2 miles from AI...so its not much of a problem for that short distance of a drive.

I will make mention to the powers to be of this issue. I have had the same problem in the past also. This just isn't right at all. I would like to offfer a suggestion at the same time I mention this. What are some of your solutions to correct the drive bys. I can think of one, possibly putting up barriers to allow one lane traffic once you leave the rotary however once you get in line one must wait it out and there would be no turning around at that point. What are your thoughts.

I think that the Oasis deflators are speed rated up to 25 mph. I don't think others like Tire Buddy are rated for use at any speed due to being out of balance on a spinning wheel. Oasis are also pretty quick. I keep my tires at 38psi and by the time I have the last one installed, the first one is just about ready to shut off at 15psi.

So if you installed them in your driveway, you'd be running beach tire pressure by the time you got to the end of you block. And you'd be driving under inflated tires on the highway.

You could stop at the pumps, put on the Oasis and drive out onto the beach. But then you'd still have to stop at the pumps and that seems to be the sticking point.