Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Fishing Nerd

Anyone here plug from a boat..

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

in addition to the surf?

I'm going out on a friend's boat tomorrow, wondering whether I should bring some spinning gear and a few plugs to go with my bottom fishing gear.

I did a search, but most of the posts were ones mocking boat fishermen smile.gif

If I do take my spinning gear, are there particular plugs that work better in deeper water? I was going to bring some swimming plugs and a bucktail or two.

If you have to fish on a boat, at least try to make it a little more honest by plugging.

I would keep a 2 3/8 SS Popper with ya at the very least. You see the birds working, toss it at the edge and work it back around the bait. You have a pretty good shot at a nice fish. A danny is good for this too.

I also always keep some bucktails and tins on the boat.

I fish from the surf and on my boat. I do like the surf fishing better, but all I use on my boat for the last 2 seasons is plugs. To catch a nice fish on a lure is so much more rewarding. (my humble opinion)

I caught a small Fluke this morning with a 1oz Blue Shark hand carved, off my boat. smile.gif

I do it on my sons boat when I get to a spot I surf fish from.JUst remember to stay out of reach if surfcasters are there.

Just be mindfull of the treble hooks,i.Pull at a angle be prepared to.........duck

I remove the front treb and go with a single on the rear of the popper

(i am not a fan of treb's on the boat)

Pencil popper, sluggo (rigged and weighted or single hook unweighted), mag darter (rip and stop) bombers. Or you could leave all of it behind and just bring bucktails of a sizes with grubs or pork strips. Bucktails are the deadliest lure from a boat bar none.......

Spent most of my fihing life on boats (inshore/offshore) and really got into the surf scene about 10 years ago. I can't ever recall a bass/bluefish trip without at least one or two spinning rods on board. Its difficult catching surface feeding fish with a 6 oz parachute jig on wire jigging setupssmile.gif ...so yes, bring the spinner with ya...just in casewink.gif

If you come on bunker being busted, throw a bucktail or tin and let is sink to where the bigger bass would be. I would not throw a good plug until I knew if they were bass or blues. I have had a ball with a spook with out hooks on, blue fish will hit it time & time again I have even landed them with no hooks on. it is great practice when they are on the feed.

View PostWatch your backcast on the launch.

Throwing plugs on boats sounds like an accident waiting to happen...

Chris

,,,Agreed,specialy at nite.But its well worth those risks at certain locations and times.Just need to fish with a person for a few days to figure out each others timing and respect your friends casting and fish landing zones on the boat.A Quik shout just as you feel a tap along your shoulder or forearm has saved me a few times from the cast digging the hooks into me.Any fisherman that fallows threw on the cast after my foul tongued shout out is most likely deaf or has absolutly zero reflexes.Its important to have your fishing partner in your perifial veiw at all times

I always carry a 7 foot plugging rod with me on my boat. You never know when you are going to come across a school of breaking fish. I've boated a lot of fish by plugging. If the waters are calm. Scan the water and see if you can see the back of fish sunning themself.