Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tunastick

Penn Slammer Reel

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Here are the Penn models that are (as far as I know) still made in the US:

Internationals (including the baitcasters)

Torques

GS series conventionals (for now, anyway)

The new Torque spinner

If anyone has any additions/deletions, please add them, or correct if necessary.

Correct, a total of 35 Penn models in all are made in the USA, counting the Torque spinners as only 3 to cover all the different colors and bail-less kits.

Add in the Formulas, 9/0 and 10/0 Senators.

For future models, a threshold of about $200 msrp will separate US-made from offshore made [that will index up as time passes].

For the Japanese mfrs in general, the threshold for "made in Japan" is around $275.

Nobody else is currently building reels in the US for under $200 msrp, and only Penn and Accurate have really ever made spinning reels in the US.

Shakespeare did make one spinner series in the US back in the mid-70's, but most spinners jumped from their European origins over to Asia in the 80's or 90's.

View PostHere are the Penn models that are (as far as I know) still made in the US:

Internationals (including the baitcasters)

Torques

GS series conventionals (for now, anyway)

The new Torque spinner

If anyone has any additions/deletions, please add them, or correct if necessary.

Just to clarify regarding US-made spinners, I am not sure if VS actually exceeded 1,000 total pieces for their US run.

If they did I apologize for that error, and would include them as a US spin reel maker of record.

I am reasonably certain that ZB has not yet exceeded the 1,000 piece barrier, but once they hit it they will certainly qualify as well.

I know that Torque spinners haven't exceed that level yet either, but early reaction looks promising for a long run.

BTW, I love "Boutique" reels, but they don't really qualify as a manufactured product.

View PostCorrect, a total of 35 Penn models in all are made in the USA, counting the Torque spinners as only 3 to cover all the different colors and bail-less kits.

Add in the Formulas, 9/0 and 10/0 Senators.

For future models, a threshold of about $200 msrp will separate US-made from offshore made [that will index up as time passes].

For the Japanese mfrs in general, the threshold for "made in Japan" is around $275.

Nobody else is currently building reels in the US for under $200 msrp, and only Penn and Accurate have really ever made spinning reels in the US.

Shakespeare did make one spinner series in the US back in the mid-70's, but most spinners jumped from their European origins over to Asia in the 80's or 90's.

I'm pretty sure that Langley spinning reels were made in San Diego, back in the 50s and 60s. Then Zebco bought them out, and production may have shifted overseas.

I believe that this is an 870 Spinator

Bingo, you are indeed correct!

Can't believe I forgot a San Diego-made product.

I vaguely recall ogling a Spinator back at a store called UniMart as a small rabid angler, but I eventually got a Mitchell 302 when my cheapo "Compac" [Commerce Pacific] reel went south.

View PostI'm pretty sure that Langley spinning reels were made in San Diego, back in the 50s and 60s. Then Zebco bought them out, and production may have shifted overseas.

Attachment 256142

View PostI'm pretty sure that Langley spinning reels were made in San Diego, back in the 50s and 60s. Then Zebco bought them out, and production may have shifted overseas.

Attachment 256142

Another one I'm seeing for the first time.

View PostI have both and there is no difference between the China Slammer and the USA version IMO.

I doubt that, I got a Penn 9M and it was the worst reel I every used brand new out of the box it was missing 2 parts.

View PostI doubt that, I got a Penn 9M and it was the worst reel I every used brand new out of the box it was missing 2 parts.

I can only speak to the ones I have, 2, 560's. I like them both and they seem identical to me. If anything I would say the China built reel is smoother but the USA model has more use on it so it's hard to say.

A lot of junk comes from China because that's what were willing to pay for, if you think they can't make top quality stuff if there is a market for it I think your wrong.

We used to laugh at Honda and Toyota too.

I don't think Honda's or Toyota's were ever made in China, though...

I personally prefer to buy American made because of how the offshoring trend affects the average American worker. But if I have to buy something produced overseas, I want it to be quality.

As for China itself... I don't know. It just seems that with all of the crappy imports, poisoned dog food, radioactive kitchen utensils, etc., we're better off without the stuff.

View PostI don't think Honda's or Toyota's were ever made in China, though...

I personally prefer to buy American made because of how the offshoring trend affects the average American worker. But if I have to buy something produced overseas, I want it to be quality.

As for China itself... I don't know. It just seems that with all of the crappy imports, poisoned dog food, radioactive kitchen utensils, etc., we're better off without the stuff.

And I agree with you, you should stop by the PG forum smile.gif.

But the fact is the reels are mostly produced by computer controlled machine tools. Where those tools are located doesn't make a lot of difference.

My comment was only related to the difference in the Slammer reels.