Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raynman

Another Paver Question - Sand (Time Crunch Emergency)

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Ran out of the sand that was delivered (I think the company may have shorted me - I ordered plenty of sand (3 yards) and gravel (9 yards), and had gravel to spare, but no more sand). Still have another 1/4 + of the patio to do. Gray sections in drawing are completed. White are not.

The delivery charge is gonna be a killer for another yard of sand and I may not need that much though the delivery charge plus a yard would be cheaper than alternative 2 below (buy the sand in bags), The place I bought the sand charges $30/yd plus $80 for delivery. Must purchase by the yard.

The real problem, however, is that I doubt I will be able to arrange for delivery before Monday, at the earliest. I can easily finish this patio tomorrow if I have the sand. The rest of the weekend is fully booked up. I need to get this done to move on to the next item on the honey do list.

Two questions:

1. Is it a really silly idea to go to a big box store and buy some sand to finish the patio? I can get .5 cu ft bags of sand for about $3.70. (Vigaro paver sand). The cost will come to about $200 total for a yard. (After tipping the driver, the difference is about 70 bucks)

2. The real big issue. Is the difference in sand going to cause problems with settling?

As always, I appreciate your advice

Get bags of coarse sand, You'll be okay.

PS. Don't use sandbox sand. Its really fine and powdery. It slides all over the place. Coarse sand sticks together and packs tighter.

View PostGet bags of coarse sand, You'll be okay.

PS. Don't use sandbox sand. Its really fine and powdery. It slides all over the place. Coarse sand sticks together and packs tighter.

What he said...otherwise it will washout and the pavers will move wink.gif