Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfrat666

Montauk Fluking

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

(I was going to put this in the LI forum but I know Montauk attracts guys from all over so I thought this might be more appropriate)

I'm planning to be out in Montauk in a few weeks for our club's BBQ, so I was toying with the idea of getting there early enough to do a half day fluke trip on one of the open boats. I always wanted to try fluking out there (certainly aided by the days when reports were good).

Typically I fish back here around Jones Inlet, occasionally in the ocean. I'm looking for any feedback on the open boats in montauk, and how much to upsize my gear as I assume the currents will be ripping and the bottom will be rocky in spots

Thanks in advance for any feedback

-Scott

LOL... You dont trust me.. LOL j/k...

Ill add to what I said. I use a calcutta 400 or penn 975 international with 20 lb fireline for ocean fluke out there.. I use a Medium-MH Shimano blue watyer series rod that is soft enuogh to feel bites but also not too wimpy that it fold if I have to go to 8 to hold bottom.. I think if you use the same stuff you use back west to fluke on the boat youll be fine.. The last couple of times I fished on a head boat out there.. I didnt go above 5 oz on my jog.. the key was teasers and the bait combos.. I would buy yourself a pack of food quality squid in your fish market and precut them befor eyou go.. they'll haev squid but the regulars cut it up for the mates and take the best pieces.. same with spearing if you have accessto big spearing or other big spearing type bait (sand eels, sardines, etc) get them...

Im hoping to get out there to go with you.

Dave

I think the only half day boats are the Viking, Lazy Bones and Flying Cloud. We usually fish the Lazy Bones- nice, fun, family run operation. Just make reservations because they do sell out.

BC is right on the money for the setup. The deepest you'll probably fish is 70 feet so be prepared to go up to 8 ounces of lead. 20# braid is the ticket.

As far as boats go, get on the fastest one out there, because with NY regs at 21" you may need to move around to find the larger fish. I know for a fact that the Viking Fleet boats are slow, no slugs. Call all of them and ask what their cruising speed is.

for 1/2 day boat try the Lazybones

for full day go with the Viking for their Block Island trips (fluke and seabass) Fridays, Sat,Sundays