Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Graphiterod

Fly Fishing in the Rain

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

It has rained for the last 20+ days, and the weatherman predicts more rain through Monday. Fishing in the rain is not the best, but if I can only get out on Saturdays I have to go when I can (unless there is lightning).

Any general advice on fishing in the rain?

I'm assuming avoid the surface, get the fly into the lower column fast, use flies that work best at night, don't bother with outlets from estuaries.

Thanks in advance.

Graphiterod

Keep a good grip on your rod, use hockey tape or tennis racket tape to ensure a good grip.

But unless the water is dirty or salinity is an issue where you fish, why would you change your tactics otherwise? There are issues....barametric presure, cloud cover, etc that accompany rainy weather, but otherwise I stick to the same techniques until I find something that works.

Stay home if there is any chance of lightning, but otherwise I believe the old saying "the fish don't know it's raining".

Good luck!

Alan

Rain means dark clouds and that means very low light levels which mean low fly visibility in the water. Light comes from the sun, clouds reduce light levels, depending of the darkness, by many thousand times. Under cear sky conditions the light changes by 1 million times from dawn to noon, and vic- versa, so as the sky filles up with clouds the attenuation can be very high.

As the light levels go down, so does the colour levels, like red disappears at shallow depths, and that gives a blue/green colour base.

Try diving in rain conditions and compare those conditions with a full clear sky situation.

I wouldn't fish in rain, to uncomfortable on ocean rocks. Ugly stuff.

MaxG.

I agree, unless the water is really roiled, stick to what you do. Maybe go to an intermidiate instead of a floater. Or use a fly with a bit more flash.

I mean if you are still fishing in water up to your hips and casting to water a bit deeper, the fish will still bite if they are there.

As far as these changing conditions, the fish at your spots simply may be at different locations.

Good luck

Use Rain-ex on your glasses. Water beads up and rolls off. Also helps keep salt water from evaporating and leaving salt spots on your lenses, you'll be able to see much better.

It's rained every night this week, but it hasn't kept me off the water. My biggest issue with the rain is how it brings out the bugs, it gets pretty bad here some nights.

With that much rain behind you I will use a rod at least one size larger than what is called for a given species exmpfrown.gifsteelhead instead of a 9wt I would use an 11 wt). Never go out with a 2-4 wt unless you are into torturing yourself. Heavy rain will collapes you line right out of its loop if rain is heavy enough.

My lesson was learned yesterday. If a really nasty looking cell start heading your way it's a good thing to head back to the ramp earlier rather than later. Even if the fishing is red red hot.

I was knocking 30+ inch bass on almost every cast and stayed longer because of it. When I headed in it started hailing penny size hail! Lighting was realllly close. Flooded about every road in this area a few hours later. Was a real adventure but stupid as well. cwm31.gif

Man it was exciting watching the stripers blast the squid out of the water!

tight lines, Bob

Lightning: Stay Home or head for the barn.

Lt. to moderate Rain: Head for the water and go fishing. It's all about Low light conditions which brings fish in closer to shore, less spooky, and on the feed. Surprised of all the bad feelings regarding rain and yes, I'd like to see the sun a whole lot more. But I've had many mornings where I went out at first light and instead of the bite dying once the full sun came up, it lasted to well after 9:00 or so.

View PostI don't push it if there is lightning. A man was killed yesterday in Little Pleasant Bay, South Orleans when lightning hit him. No fish is worth it.

Sounds like a great time Bob! Squid on the reefs.

View PostSounds like a great time Bob! Squid on the reefs.

Red hot for sure. Just need the weather to cooperate. That storm made national news. There was really no forecast for it. Those upper level lows will just create a storm within no time at all. Went out friday but it was a zoo. Fog rolled in and called it quits. Will be out tomorrow solo yet again.

Tight lines

Rain without lightening is just that rain. Over here if we only fished when the sun was out we would get to go fishoing painfully few times in a year. LOL Low light levels associated with rain can be ideal conditions for Trout and Perch let alone Stripers. Fish can see plenty well enough in low light. So just go fishing in the rain why ever not.

Mike

I have always done extremely well in rain. The key is to fish in a boat when raining. Fish will gather under the boat to stay dry.......How bout that! Fish right under your nose when it rains. kooky.gif

HC cwm27.gif