Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outdoorsman

Fishing in Casco Bay

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

Hey all,

We are going to be in Maine once again for our annual trip from July 11th-18th. For our first few years up there, we did quite well on the stripers in the Kennebec, but last year was slow until we were finally able to get on some fish later in the week with live bait. Normally we use chunk up there in the river, but that didn't really pan out last year. After getting skunked all week, we finally managed about 10 fish each day for the last couple days of the trip.

I'm a little worried this year, since the Kennebec reports are consistently high and muddy. That really seemed to slow down the fishing when the water was muddy. It didn't help that the stripers were few and far between and difficult to find.

We have ventured out into areas of Casco Bay, such as the New Meadows River a little bit, without much success. It always seemed like when we found a good spot on the map (usually a ledge of some kind), it was usually covered with lobster pots. Now that we have a bigger boat (19 foot trophy bay boat), we feel more confident searching around the bay than with the old 16 foot lund. If the Kennebec does not produce well, I'm sure we will end up out on Casco somewhere (have no clue where really, but we will probably start with New Meadows since that is close to where we are staying).

I am just looking for some info on how to fish structure like the ledges in areas of Casco Bay. I'm not looking for any hotspots or anything, just general info on how you guys fish spots like that without getting hung up on lobster/crab pots on every drift! Or, maybe I should be looking for different types of structure? All info is greatly appreciated!