Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bradW

Local Boater Killed by Lightening...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

please be careful!!!

A man died this evening after being struck by lightning while boating on Pleasant Bay in South Orleans, according to police and fire officials.

Rescue crews received a call of somebody struck by lightning in a boat around 5:30 p.m near The Narrows in Pleasant Bay.

Orleans police and state police detectives are investigating the scene and bringing the body to shore. More details to come.

latest reports seem to indicate the person was a shellfishermen who was on the water daily. seems to me that the storm probably snuck up on him and before he knew it, it was too late.

when i was shellfishing, i was caught in more then one nasty lightening storm. probably the scariest thing i've ever experienced. the only thing i could do was hide under the culling board and wait for it to pass. don't really want to have a long aluminum pole sticking out of the water when lightening is flashing...

What is the rule for lightning danger? I've heard of people getting hit without it raining and the sun actually shining.

I thought I read somewhere that if you can hear the clap of thunder you're in danger? I've also heard that if you can count so many seconds between the flash and the sound of thunder you're safe. Anyone know?

View PostWhat is the rule for lightning danger? I've heard of people getting hit without it raining and the sun actually shining.

I thought I read somewhere that if you can hear the clap of thunder you're in danger? I've also heard that if you can count so many seconds between the flash and the sound of thunder you're safe. Anyone know?

I've always been told that for every second that passes between the flash and the rumble is how many miles away the lightning was. Anything less than 5 you should move to safety.

View PostI've always been told that for every second that passes between the flash and the rumble is how many miles away the lightning was. Anything less than 5 you should move to safety.

Sound travels one mile in 5 seconds--not a mile a second. If you hear thunder within 5 seconds of a lighgtning flash, you're past the time when you should have booked to shelter cwm31.gif

He was my neighbor, hard working guy. I know the other man who was with him too, (who saw it happen) excellent guy, great fisherman, hes pretty shookup about it.

When you get to shelter, try not to hold onto electrical/electronic equipment either.cwm31.gif

My 16 year old is the boy from Douglas that suffered through a secondary lightning strike while laying on his bed holding onto his radio that was plugged into the outlet in his room. Thankfully he was laying down and the surge exited out his shoulder. Had he been standing the outcome would have been different according to the doctor.

Very sad to have heard this. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

Lightning is nothing to play with and if you hear thunder and see lightning at any distance seek shelter right away. Don't try to measure your position or reach of the storm. But as we have all witnessed there are times here in NE when you have very confusing forecasts and weather changes quickly. Sounds like what happened to him (caught off guard).

-Brian

I read somewhere that lightning can get you 12 miles away from the source.

There are safety devices that give an audible alarm when lightning is in the area. "Strike Alarm" is one that retails for < $70.

Blasts of static on a SW radio are another indicator.