Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reelone

New Fin-Nor Sportfisher Star Drag

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Last night I posted about the new Marquesa reels coming out for Fin-Nor. We will be launching a number of reels this year at ICAST, the fishing tackle trade show. I am back with the previously unseen and new Sportfisher workhorse star drag reels coming out under Fin-Nor. I am the VP of product development and manufacturing for Fin-Nor and wanted to introduce you to some of the new reels and will keep them coming over the next week. The reels feature a - simple and robust design, corrosion resistant coatings and part treatment throughout, easy maintainability and parts commonality/availability, a tremendous amount of drag lock-down capability and, are truly braid ready. There are 2 sizes available - a 30 and 50. The 30 size has the capacity of 4/0 and the 50 size the capacity of a 6/0. The reels have a full aluminum frame, oversized gears (stainless pinion and bronze main gear), integrated harness lugs and rings, oversized drag, oversized mainshaft and 4 ball bearings. The gear ratio on the 30 is 4.1:1 and on the 50 3.4:1.

buddy please post full specs line capcity, weight, brakes? type of drag etc..

good luck with that.. lokks like a sweet reel,

you guys at Finnor could have made some great surf reels,

but stuck with the boat stuff after the ahab..

For some scale the drag washers from the Fin-Nor 30 are laid out next to a Penn 113H for scale. As you can see, carbon fibre and much larger in diameter. We also included a dual spring confiruration for a larger drag range.

The new Fin-Nor Sportfisher drag on top; 113H on bottom:

Here is the new Fin-Nor 30 Sportfisher crankshaft (on the left) next to a 113H (on right) for scale. You can easily see the difference and I think the picture speaks for itself. The reel does not have an "old style" bridge and instead the crank shaft has a bearing to reduce friction. The Fin-Nor also boasts a double dog anti reverse system and both dogs engage at the same time.

Here is a shot at the new Fin-Nor Sportfisher 30 gears (on top) next to the 113H (on bottom) for scale. As you can see the oversized pinion is stainless and the oversized maingear is bronze. You can also see that the maingear rides on a ball bearing and not a plastic bushing. The reels also have a more relevant gear ratios and inches per turn that lend themselve to today's fishing techniques.

How about making a conventional we can cast?

Something to compete with the Ambassadeur 7000 smile.gif

Reelone,

You mention that the Fin Nor doesn't have an "old style" bridge assembly, but has a bearing supporting it. My question, what does the gear stud anchor into???? Diawa HSD and Penn GS reels have the same system and they anchor into graphite, below the bearing. The "old style" bridge assembly isn't something that should be looked upon negatively.

Steve

View PostReelone,

You mention that the Fin Nor doesn't have an "old style" bridge assembly, but has a bearing supporting it. My question, what does the gear stud anchor into???? Diawa HSD and Penn GS reels have the same system and they anchor into graphite, below the bearing. The "old style" bridge assembly isn't something that should be looked upon negatively.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

The bridge sytem has a stud and a pinned sleeve - that equals friction. The new Fin-Nor has a bearing pocket in the metal frame so that the load exerted under drag and the gears wanting to separate due to the helical angle of the pinion doesn't create friction between the stud adn sleeve. On many reels with an "old style" bridge it also screwed into the plastic side-plate of the reel and this could lead to deflection and other issues under higher loads. Not sure if this makles sense to you, just one man's opinion.

Reelone,

Alright, the gear stud is recessed into a cavity below the bearing, as are the other reels I mentioned. How is the gear stud, bearing, sleeve, main gear and drags attatched to the sideplate that makes it any different then the others?

There is no such thing as a friction free reel. Anytime you have moving parts there is a degree of friction.

Good luck with that reel.

Steve