Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bridgerat

Weaks?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Last weekend at M, I was fishing a beach west of the Lake. I saw a school of tailing fish moving very slow. They were within casting range but too far to identify. They stayed in front of me for about 1 hr. I threw everything I had and then just watched for a while. They seemed to be going to slow to be on bait. Are weaks spawning now? Anyway very cool to see.

View PostI haven't seen a weakfish in Montauk for 15 years

Guess your not looking very hard. This is the time of year to catch em off the beach. There have been quite a few caught already.

I've seen big blues circle and tail like that back here to the west... Never really figured out what they were doing...often happens this time of year though.

View PostGuess your not looking very hard. This is the time of year to catch em off the beach. There have been quite a few caught already.

actually I fish Montauk hard by surf and boat from June to November. I cath a lot of everything else but I guess I haven't been lucky enough to score a weakie.

can you offer any tips oh wise one? wink.gif

View PostGuess your not looking very hard. This is the time of year to catch em off the beach. There have been quite a few caught already.

icon14.gif there have been quite a few in the 12-15lb range this spring off the sand beach.

View Postactually I fish Montauk hard by surf and boat from June to November. I cath a lot of everything else but I guess I haven't been lucky enough to score a weakie.

can you offer any tips oh wise one? wink.gif

I would like to hear as well.

This is one species that I rarely catch, maybe ONE a year as bycatch. Have caught less than a dozen in the past ten years! Bucktailing much of the time but for some reason I dont get a shot at them, I am not targeting them by any means, dont know how tomad.gif

The only consolation is that I don't see them caught around me either...

Have heard of some large ones taken, but all on chunks cwm31.gif

JC

View PostI would like to hear as well.

This is one species that I rarely catch, maybe ONE a year as bycatch. Have caught less than a dozen in the past ten years! Bucktailing much of the time but for some reason I dont get a shot at them, I am not targeting them by any means, dont know how tomad.gif

The only consolation is that I don't see them caught around me either...

Have heard of some large ones taken, but all on chunks cwm31.gif

JC

17pounds2.jpg

Dude if I caught a weakfish that big I probably wouldn't realize what species it was. My largest is around 7#.

Is that thing 15-17#'s? It doesn't look like anything I have ever seen in person smile.gif

And is that Chasin tails B&T?

JC

View PostDude if I caught a weakfish that big I probably wouldn't realize what species it was. My largest is around 7#.

Is that thing 15-17#'s? It doesn't look like anything I have ever seen in person smile.gif

And is that Chasin tails B&T?

JC

17 pounds to your first question... and maybe to your second question lol.. All I have to say is that I'm gonna be heading out to your turf soon to get a chance at one of these beauts... I caught a 13 pounder about 3 years ago but this is just amazing.. by the way these were caught on bunker chunks biggrin.gif

View PostThat fish was caught at west sayville dock, not montauk. No bunker chunks are aloud any farther east then south hampton anyway.smile.gif

when you say west sayville dock, bay or a creek? sorry im not local

I want to ammend my above statements from the surf I am 12/10yrs.

An 7-8# weakfish looks like a totally different species from that picture IMO

Great fish highfive.gif

JC