Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

Iraqis have been partying all night

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm happy that they are happy. Are we happy? And are there any Iraqis that are not happy?

Looking for some good deals on body armor and Aimpoints on Ebay soon.

View PostKinda think the party ought to wait to see if they have character to actually make a free society work.

What a great victory for Bush and the people who supported this effort. Now, Che Obama may yet snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I hope the Iraqis', with our military's help, can continue to build up their forces into an efficient and creditable deterent to the Iranian-led and sponsored terrorists.

View PostWhat a great victory for Bush and the people who supported this effort. Now, Che Obama may yet snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I hope the Iraqis', with our military's help, can continue to build up their forces into an efficient and creditable deterent to the Iranian-led and sponsored terrorists.

Don't disagree with ya, Knight, but I'm more worried about the Iraqis than Obama. We've given them a chance they never had the character to get for themselves. Let's see if they can do it, and without treating us like crap because they owe us. All I want from these guys for them to make it work, and maybe a little respect.

I agree with DanW. Let us see how they do, and keep our fingers crossed.

In this regard, the politician I worry about is not Obama but al-Maliki. He smells more and more like a Latin American caudillo. I'm not at all sure that he won't undo our efforts in the course of punishing the Sunnis to his satisfaction.

Worrisome, but there's no help for it. It was inevitable that they'd want us out before it was clear that they were ready to do without us.

What Obama said today.

Before we begin the subject of today's gathering, I want to say a few words about an important milestone that we've reached in Iraq. Today, American troops have transferred control of all Iraqi cities and towns to Iraq's government and security forces. (Applause.) This transition was agreed to last year as part of our Status of Forces Agreement with the sovereign Iraqi government. It's a part of our strategy to responsibly end the war by removing all American combat brigades from Iraq by next September, and all of our troops from Iraq by the end of 2011.
Never mentioned President Bush by name.

If he had done so, this thread would be full of complaints that he was trying to blame President Bush in advance for any trouble.

I'm not going to blame him if it happens, or President Bush for signing off on the Status of Force agreement. They've matured politically enough to want us out, and that was inevitably going to happen with a lot of problems still waiting, like bad weather, to break over their heads.

We won't know whether we succeeded in Iraq or failed for a long time. Failure might happen quickly, success will take longer.

View PostDon't disagree with ya, Knight, but I'm more worried about the Iraqis than Obama. We've given them a chance they never had the character to get for themselves. Let's see if they can do it, and without treating us like crap because they owe us. All I want from these guys for them to make it work, and maybe a little respect.

We actually still owe them a ton. We promised to rebuild their country. IMHO it is not rebuilt.

View PostThat is because if Bush had his way, we would never leave.

"This transition was agreed to last year as part of our Status of Forces Agreement with the sovereign Iraqi government."