Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

Check this one out,interesting to say the least,Waders of Death!

16 posts in this topic

I have seen this, and I think it's completely stupid what this guy says.

I was living up in Rockwood,ME for a season one year, and this MA guy comes up with his family, and decides to go down the road to fish the East Outlet.

Well...that river is fairly shallow, but it's WIDE, and this guy slips, and falls into the current, and his waders filled right up, and he was pulled downsteam, and underwater by the strong current. He died.

2 kids grabbed him, and tried to pull him out, but his waders were ballooned up, and full of water, and they lost thier grip. He was found 2 miles downsteam in a net near the 2nd dam. The net is there to help catch dumb fly fisherman who drown in waders, lol.

Think about it...maybe waders are fine in a swimming pool, but try adding a nasty current to the equation, and THEN do what this guy claims. I have my doubts, lol. They don't make wading belts for nothing.

View PostThe danger is when you fall over in swiftly flowing water. The water pours in when that happens.

Yeah....that pool guy probably helped kill a few people, lol. "LOOK!! I CAN SWIM!!" "in a pool with a pfd"

The PFD is gonna keep you up and safe anyways....Flyfishermen wear no PFD generally.

I think too, if you see how big this dude is...the waders fit semi-tight on him in the gut. Loosey-goosey waders are probably a bad idea. I think these newer breathables are a bit better on the fit.

Either way.....waders are safe with a PFD. Still.....currents are killers. Especially in rivers.

I fish the Ct River more often than I fish anywhere else and even though as of May 31st I an no longer required by law to wear a PFD, I do without fail.I've encountered whirlpools and standing waves in 50 feet of water and at times that river can be a little intimidating.I also anchor midstream regularly,another very good reason to wear one(always wear a knife as well).I wear waders and cinch my PFD on very snug so I feel like I do get a pretty good seal over the top of the waders.The dry suit does seem like a better option,but I do not have the money to invest in that for now.I posted the video because it was new to me and I was looking forward to opinions on that guy's "scientific research".haha

I didn't have the volume on so I wouldn't be subjected to his thought process but the one thing I noticed that many of you have left out is he is wearing what appears to be a dry top with velcro straps at the bottom.

With the top on, the water can't just rush into the waders.

If you were fishing with a dry top similar to what he has on in the video you too would probably have some time to get yourself out of trouble. Add to that the PFD he has on and you'd be fine I dare to say.

I don't know how many of you have actually tried to swim in waders regardless if with a belt, drytop. It's very difficult to do and you tire out much quicker. I have practiced this some years back to see the real result of trying to save yourself and all I have to say is good luck. I haven't worn waders even in the surf since. Always a wetsuit or a drysuit. My drysuit is the bomb digidies!heart.gif Very comfortable and even has a custom zipper to take a wiz. Believe me the extra $100 for this option was well worth it. Personally would never wear waders in a kayak. I think thats nuts. Too many failure oportunites: belt not tight enough, PFD not tight enough, hole in your waders you didn't know about. It's not worth the risk. Even though a drysuit is expensive you have to ask yourself what you life is worth to you. If you go the drysuit route a must have knife on your side or leg incase you cut into it you can butterfly it so you don't sink. The extrem fun we like to have with this sport comes with a price, just don't make it your life being the price.

I would think wearing waders on a yak would be hot as hell? Even breathables.

Regardless of the air temperature, if I'm doing any significant walking I need to wade out from time to time to cool off, otherwise I'd get soaked with sweat.

I am an extremely warm person to begin with, but still...Ain't it hot?

It all depends on whether you have your waders properly secured with a wader belt and make sure the waders are not way too big for you in the chest area, etc.

I've been wearing breathable, lightweight waders for years in my kayak and wading all sorts of water. All of the dangerous stuff on the coast, fishing in some very dangerous inlets (Oregon Inlet, NC), etc all of which have some nasty 7-9 knot currents, deep drop offs, etc. I've never fallen out of my yak or turtled one but even if I did I'd be fine. I've stepped off underwater ledges, sunk well over my head, even with a stripping basket on, that fills with water immediately and really works against you and I'm still here to talk about it. Sometimes I've had a PFD on, but the kind you pull the cord to inflate (as they are less bulky), and I've never needed to pull the cord. Quite a few times I've been in swift current in very deep water. The key is the wader belt. Cinched tight with your waders pulled up tight from the belt I've gone in over my head and literally only my shirt got wet to mid chest, with no water even getting to the wader belt. Even if I got wetter it was only due to the shirt soaking the water in like a sponge. NEVER have I ever gotten water down into my waders. If they were that dangerous I'd long ago been dead. I'll tell you this. I do a lot of wet wading in the warmer months and wear flats boots to protect my feet from stingrays, oysters, etc and I have submerged with those things on and I think they are worse than the waders. Those things arer like cement blocks. At least the waders when worn with a belt have a lot of trapped air that add a lot of floatation.

Waders are NOT the killers people claim they are unless you are just plain stupid and don't wear tight wader belts and maybe you just are not a good swimmer to begin with and would drown even without the waders.

Like I said I wear lightweight breathable waders which if they did fill probably are more dangerous then neoprene that float you like a cork. I mean those things have so much bouyancy that they will cause you to float up off the bottom when you start getting about chest deep.

Just be smart guys. NEVER ever use waders without a proper fitting wader belt and to be extra careful have some form of pfd on. That's just plain smart waders or not.cwm15.gif

View Post

stupid and don't wear tight wader belts

I wear 2

1 regular surf belt

1 velcro type back brace

I don't like the wetsuit in my kayak when I am dry, it feels clammy & cold.

but this is the same old stupid debate ~ wear what you want after you test it doing a reentry.

the fact is that water does get in

the fact also is that when you are in trouble you are most likely going to be in the water for a long period of time. Over time wader/drytop solution will fail, just look at the video, Jim gets wet towards the end

Also, look where the video is made, in sunny CA, how cold is the ocean water????

we are not just talking about getting wet inside the waders, we are talking about filling up with water and sinking

are you wearing the waders/drytop for safety or to keep dry while you are fishing?????

if you are wearing a waders/drytop for the safety aspect of kayaking there is none

just my opinion, from over 25 years of sea kayaking