Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

Strange Happenings......Sumpn Fishy

14 posts in this topic

Yesterday I had the pleasure of looking at a thread that was interesting,a little intriguing and while not quite revolutionary,definitely groundbreaking.It was entitled "new electric trolling OK".It was about an integrated trolling motor kayak being marketed by Ocean Kayak,okay it was a video but it was very informative.Now for starters,this thread was posted by Mr B,Hobie Master Himself!Now B,before you get down on me let me say that I'm not trying to get on the band wagon of people who seem to try to persecute you,infact the exact opposite is true.I applaud you for(even though you didn't say so exactly)suggesting that another manufacturer besides Hobie might have a good idea/concept.So,not only am I intrigued by the product but also because of who was trying to bring it to everyone's attention.This is a thread that I was extremely eager to follow and keep up with.So this morning I get on the computer,I have a notification that a reply has been posted to this thread(as I fully expected),I click on it and I get a screen that I never seen before.It's saying that I am not "authorized to access this information" or something to that effect....?...So I try it again...Same result."What is going on here?",I ask myself.This makes no sense.I try to find the thread,I search and search,no record of it,not even the standard,"this thread has been deleted,this thread has been moved"....Seems the powers that be really didn't like something about this thread.Hmmmm.What could it be I wonder.Could be a variety of issues(none of which make any sense to me or many other members,I'm sure).Could it be construed as advertising?Well,I've only been around here for a few months and I'd bet my last nickle that Mr B is in NO WAY affiliated with OK.So that doesn't work.Does someone who holds one of these precious "moderator" or "administrator" titles have the purist mentality that a kayak with a motor on it is not a kayak at all and therefore does not belong in this forum?I think this one is very plausible and pardon me for thinking because I know that free thought is only tolerated,not encouraged around here.Whatever the "issue" was with this thread,all I can say is you guys need to lighten up.Shame on You!Stop letting the "power" go to your head!This was an informative thread,posted by a knowledgeable man!Look,if we can't talk about where we've been fishing and now can't discuss new products,what's left?The "HEY,LOOK AT THE KAYAK DOLLY I MADE OUT OF AN OLD SHOPPING CART"threads are getting tired.Damned stormtroopers,you guys need to pull your heads out of your arses!beatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gif

was the video on a commercial site? that would be my guess. while tim does not sell Kayaks he does have a strict policy on posting links to sights that sell stuff.

It was on You tube . You tube links are comonly posted on SOL. Tim doesnt know anything about what happened and you are correct I dont sell OK I just thought the kayak was an intresting inovation and brought it to everybodys attention.

You wanna talk weird? Try moderating a fishing message boardbeatin.gifbeatin.gif

Especially one as busy as this one. One wrong keystroke and people start yelling, like a perfectly run site is a constitutional right. Keeping a vbulletin board going is a full time thankless job as evidenced by this thread.

Sometimes a very polite email to the moderator off line can be a bit more effective and a heck of alot more polite. Not everything that does not make sense to you is somebody trying to screw you.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=671001

As you can see by the link, the post is still here. At least I can still see it. No one here who moderates any of these forums will take down a thread because they don't agree with something, or feel it is un-pure to the sport. We try and maintain a very neutral position on every subject here, I myself am a believer in the wader/drytop debate, but it would be totally against my morals to delete everything someone else posted in the opposite about the subject.

Blatant rule breaking in threads will be edited, and continued rule breaking gets passed up the line to an admin or super mod for their decision on penalties. I feel that I run a fairly loose forum here, I only jump in when stuff gets personal about one member or another or it's a blatant infraction. I ususally let most references to other sites slide when folks are looking for a place to get gear, and bolster it by adding other options.

I don't have the time to spend on this site like I had in the past to keep fully involved in all the post, but I do the best I can, as fairly as I can. Tim and the rest of the mods here peek in on occasion and fix issues they find, and do it fairly, to help out. If you ever have a problem with a missing post, or how something was edited, as Ship said, be a little courteous and send me a PM or email, public beratings only make you look bad, not anyone else. Thanks, MM

Miller,while I do feel that the rules and guidelines for posting on this site could be a bit more liberal I realize that you don't make them,you are only charged with making sure they are followed.I still don't understand what happened here and I guess it doesn't matter.In the future if I have an issue,I will take the suggestions given and pm you or another person of authority and try to get it resolved that way.I apologize.

View PostMiller,while I do feel that the rules and guidelines for posting on this site could be a bit more liberal I realize that you don't make them,you are only charged with making sure they are followed.I still don't understand what happened here and I guess it doesn't matter.In the future if I have an issue,I will take the suggestions given and pm you or another person of authority and try to get it resolved that way.I apologize.

Liberals smell like hippies beers.gifbeers.giftongue.gif

I put a 3 hp Honda 4 stroke on my Ride 135, my 21 speed mountain bike has a 3 hp mini motor, and next is motorized shoes. All so I can get more exercise.

Mullet Miller,

If a thread is being edited by a mod, does it disappear from everyone else's view during editing?

As far as more liberal rules go, we've got it pretty good. We're not flooded with spam nonsense, we get to sell and buy without giving the site owner anything for the privilege, and access to the entire site is free. Sounds pretty darned relaxed to me.

View PostMullet Miller,

If a thread is being edited by a mod, does it disappear from everyone else's view during editing?

I honestly don't know. I'll see what I can find out.