Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Getting caught up in a current.....

6 posts in this topic

I was just looking at the NOAA tidal predictions for 2009. I was looking all around the country at the currents. Some are amazing some are surprising. I was looking at Deception Pass out in Washington State. In 2006 I visited the Ocean Kayak factory in Ferndale, WA and went for a paddle afterwards for some Ling Cod to Deception Pass. The goal was to hit the slack tide under Deception Bridge. Approx: 45 minutes of fishing. Well, when you have guys fishing and your hooking up you kind of forget about time. This was perhaps the hardest paddle I have every had to make in my life. I was in a Prowler 15. I was told the currents can get up to 6-7knots in this area. cwm31.gif.....Well paddling along the canyon walls we were behind getting out of the pass. I will never forget seeing the tide line coming at us followed by little whirlpools in 180' of water. It was a guanlet. Standing still I started to do a full 360 in the kayak. We made paddle corrections and gave all our might to make another 50 yards to make it out of the chute. Imagine paddling all your might just to crack .60 on the gps......cwm27.gif.....finally we made it out and shot out of like a rocket at 2.7 knots to safety and I didn't miss my flight home. highfive.gif

Thankfully my home waters in Boston Harbor is a comfortable .5 knots or less and 1.5 max at Boston Harbor Rip. icon14.gif

Pictures below from Deception Bridge on Ebb flow:

Hey Jeff...HappyWave.gif ...I actually lived on Whidby island for a year before I moved to New England. What a beatiful spot. Woke up to the sight of Mt Baker and the Puget sound every morning. Was a great year. I hiked all around deception pass a number of times. Didn't have a yak back then. Your right though...that current sure moves. Hope all is well.

Kris! Whats up man? Long time no hear. Lets get some more Green and Black, if they decide to show this year...lol

That Deception area reminds me of the white mountains and the kanga highway. Just flood it with water through the valleys.

Terry, any time. Kris, yes lets keep in touch. As long as the bait is there we have a shot. Lets hope.