Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike L.

Old Lure Maker?

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a plug builder in the new england area by the name of Roman? Most likely it would be from the 50's or 60's era. Build wooden lures for stripers etc... possibly a pencil type lure ? or series

My Mom grew up, and was next door neighbors to Floyd Roman and his family when she lived in Three River, Ma.

Floyd made a funky line of plugs, that were more adapted to 'his' style of fishing, rather than market demand. That's why they were never that popular IMO.

Maybe Peterkooky.gif will post some of his extensive collection. wink.gif I am sure if you look through the search you will find some.

Floyd's plug business was stictly a cottage industry thing, like most of the old plug makers of the day. Floyd was often a cranky, cantancerous guy, who couldn't stand the sight of another fisherman within a 1/2 mile of him. As a kid, I was often on the recieving end of his venom, as he and I had permission to fish the same piece of ultra private beach.

Virtually all the fish he caught in the canal were caught on his crude, homemade eel skin rigs and jigs. He never fished heavy jigs on the bottom, but rather 1-1.5oz skins and jigs in the rips, closer to shore. His favorite color jig was yellow. But being the tight old swamp yankee that he was, he would never consider buying yellow bucktail or nylon.shakehead.gif Instead, he would pick up yellow poly rope he'd find in the rocks along the canal, unravel it, and tie his jigs with it. They worked.clapping.gif

He used to fish Maine for a few weeks each summer, and that where he used his plugs. Most of his largest bass were caught in Maine.

View Post being the tight old swamp yankee that he was, he would never consider buying yellow bucktail or nylon.shakehead.gif Instead, he would pick up yellow poly rope he'd find in the rocks along the canal, unravel it, and tie his jigs with it. They worked.clapping.gif

That is absolutely amazing. love it!