Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zee

Philadelphia Area Yakers! A few quick Qs from a Newb...

6 posts in this topic

Hi. A few quick questions for any Philly area/South Jersey folks! I've alrady gotten some great advice on these forums, but I have a few more specific inquires:

1) I think I am going to be doing the majority of my 'Yak fishing on the Schuylkly River, just West of Philly or thereabouts. I think I'm gonna start off with the Tophy 126 SIK (10'6" long). I am 5'11'', 165 lbs. I hope to be able to upgrade at some point, but my budget isn't really high enough to start with a better yak (new child, wife laid off....the usual). Will this 'yak be OK for these waters? I'm thinking spring/summer, calm days. I know very little about these waters other than what I can observe from the banks.

2) Are there any big lakes in this area that may be either better off for me to start with, or just a good fishing alternative to the Skuke?

3) Aside from Dicks, Modells, and Sport Authority, are there any local dealers I should be checking out before I purchase? I've been checking craislist and the Buy/Sell forums here, but have not seen anything in my budget that clearly jumps out at me. Most of what I see for sale online is only available through online ordering, and I don't want to wait 'till the end of the summer for it to be delivered.

4) On a similar note to the above Q, is there any place that may let me rent or demo a yak before purchase?

And finally-

4) Is the Wissahhickon Creek viable for yak fishing? It looks like it might be in parts, but I never see anyone in there with boats of any size.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. As I said, these forums and the knowledgable members have been terrific in assisting me so far!

-Zee

The Schuylkill is pretty good in spots, but it gets pretty shallow in the summer. Lake Nockamixon would be the closest lake to you that I'm aware of. Its just outside of Quakertown. You can also try Marsh Lake in Northern Chester County. Its located in Marsh Creek State Park and it rents yaks.

Check out Wilderness Canoe in Wilmington on Rt. 202. They sold me my first kayak and could not have been more helpful. Would go back in a hearttbeat to buy my next yak.

French Creek Outfitters may have kayaks.

I grew up on the Wissahickon. You would probably be wasting your time fishing it from a kayak. Most the fishable areas outside of carp water is too shallow. By foot would be a better option.

Ditto on Lake Nockamixon in Bucks Cty. Right near the lake (on Rt. 563) is Nature's Way Canoes and Kayaks - rentals and sales. They're only open on weekends. You can demo their boats.