Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Donadong

Old Silver Beach

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

The wife and I are staying at Old Silver Beach this weekend and I will be fishing it in the AM and evenings. I haven't been to the area before and was wondering if it is shallow and wadeable or if I should plan on casting from the sand? Also, It looks sandy from Google Maps so I will probably soak some sand eels and chunks at night. Any ide what I can expect to catch, blues, bass, fluke.........I will hit the closest bait shop and see what is going on as well.

Thanks!

Bad Fish outfitters is not far from there on 28A. Bass and blues are around...but action is very hit or miss. Lots of small bait around. You can wade easily since the surf isn't big.

Mackeral chunk on the bottom under the cover of darkness......one and a half hours before and after high water should get you a tug on your line.

At dusk and first light.......casting to blues that may be cruising in the vicinity may yield results.

View PostMackeral chunk on the bottom under the cover of darkness......one and a half hours before and after high water should get you a tug on your line.

Yup, a nice big dogfish or skate.cwm27.gif

View PostYup, a nice big dogfish or skate.cwm27.gif

Now come on Bob........ya gotta think positive. This inclement weather must be really getting to ya.

Besides.....have ya ever tasted skate wings? drool.gif

Punched out with a cookie cutter they taste like what?.....yes....scallops. beers.gif

Tons of sand eels around that area right now. Saw a few fish break too while I was at the beach with the family a few days ago.

Good Luck, they are very finicky and hard to catch. I would get right out on the jetty at the beginning of an outgoing tide. However, to be honest it is not the hottest spot for quality fish.

I will fish it out of convenience a few times but I'm willing to travel (not too far) to better my chances. Looking at Google Earth, it looks like sand bottom, nothing too "fishy"..

Yes, that is true. I will scope it out when I get there. It should be around low when I plan on arriving, depending on traffic. Looks like the AM highs are going to work for me. I will give it a decent effort, hope it pays off......Is there any chance that fluke will be around?

old silver beach is deff wadeable and imo very safe! minimum surf if any at all under a good onshore wind...

from my past experiences old silver is a hit or miss kinda place...my grandparents place is right up the street and fish it often times when i cant fish anywhere else...ive never scored big there but who knows i dont fish it hard enough.

my advice would be to hit it before first light and to fish thru sunrise with some small spooks around the rocks, you will see em....perhaps some small sluggos fished erratically a little below the surface (tandem rigged should do fine) or some small bombers would do the trick...

tight lines

View PostNow come on Bob........ya gotta think positive. This inclement weather must be really getting to ya.

Besides.....have ya ever tasted skate wings? drool.gif

Punched out with a cookie cutter they taste like what?.....yes....scallops. beers.gif

On the contrary my friend. With all this time on my hands, I've been fishing my arse off (the catching part remains a different story thoughtongue.gif ).

I've eaten skate wings, poached with shallots in a white wine reduction, and it's like combining flounder with bay scallops.drool.gif Europeans have been enjoying skate for decades.

View PostOK, If I get a skate I will try them out, sounds pretty good!

I will also let you guys know how i do. Wish me luck!

You'll need to cut off the wings. The difficult part is skinning them. That skin is more like hide, rather than skin.cwm13.gif But once you skin the critter, you'll see that lovely white flesh, with the soft cartilage running in the middle. Simply pan fry or poach it, and peel the flakey white meat from the cartilage.