Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChadHaddock

The reason for using a shocker...

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I recently picked up 2 new 5 oz cripple herring and was heading down to the canal to send 'em for a ride. well I had lost a rig last week and lost my shocker (10 - 20 ft of 50 or 60 lb test) so when I went to put on an older leader, which had been on the bottom of my tackle box and had some discoloration on it, I figured that would be good enough. WRONG!! I drew back and was powering forward with my 12 ft Daiawa slammer, I could briefly envision casting clear across the ditch, when a loud SNAP!!! brought me back to reality just in time to see my new lure sailing off into the drink...I had my daughter with me which prevented me from screaming the string of obsenities that automatically came to mind. So I calmly went over, cut a prefab hook-on-a-leader, and tied a large snap swivel on, just in case, right...WRONG!!! Well lemme tell ya.. the first two casts were great, I mean probably some of the furthest ever, if my thumb wasnt already calised<sp> the rmp's on my squidder would have definatly set it on fire. So now, on my third cast, I'm ready to drop the jaw of everyone that might happen to be watching (no one)... SNAP!!!mad.gif

I've made tens of thousands of casts--with lures as a heavy as 6 oz--with 50# braid, and have never used a shock leader.

Sounds like you either have some damage to your line, or you bought a bad spool.

Could also be that you have a burr on your spool or a cracked guide.

I have a habit of checking the drag by pulling some line from the reel. Last week at the ditch, three times in a row after a cast, I pull line to check drag tension, and snap....hit a small nick in the roller guide and now have to hand haul my plug back. Ya! you would think I was smart enough to investigate but just had to do it again!kooky.gif and again, and once more before I retired the reel for the night.

View PostWere you backlashing your Squidder?

If not, it sounds like the issue may be with your braid?

no backlash, just the raw power that is created wheb I cast, lol, 35lb mono

View PostI've made tens of thousands of casts--with lures as a heavy as 6 oz--with 50# braid, and have never used a shock leader.

Sounds like you either have some damage to your line, or you bought a bad spool.

I'm castin mono, not sure how braid would work on a conventional reel

View Postno backlash, just the raw power that is created wheb I cast, lol, 35lb mono

OK, here's what I think. Providing your guides are fine, I'll bet the problem lies in the knot you're using to spice the shocker. Is it breaking right at the shocker?

If you're using #35 mono, do you really a shocker?

Also, braid casts super on a conventional. You just need to get used to it. It has it's own set of idiosyncrasies.kooky.gif

You aught to check out the newer Penn 535 or 545. They are light and cast like a charm. I to have a couple Squidders, Jig Masters, Newels, Sea Lines, but now fish my 535 for bass most of the time along with the Torium. It cast forever and holds a lot of line on the thinner spool!! Squidders are great reels and last forever but the newer stuff is lighter, faster and comfortable for several more hours than the good old boys! Just MPO and $.02.shaky.gif

View PostIf all you want is distance then get an Abu 5500 and use a 50 lb. shock leader.

Squidders are for heavy duty bait fishing but not distance.

Back in the day, there were guys who could empty a spool on a Squidder.wink.gif As a kid, the farthest cast I ever saw was some guy using a Squidder, on which he snapped/ground off the air brakes on the spool. For a rod, he was using an 10' Burma cane, with the guide wound on with squidding line.

He used to show up on Bell Rd from time to time, and bounce worms with the gang there. He'd WOW us all with his casts.cwm31.gif

View PostIf all you want is distance then get an Abu 5500 and use a 50 lb. shock leader.

Squidders are for heavy duty bait fishing but not distance.

I just had my 6500 lined up, just waitin for Bruce to finish my lami, but as far as casting for distance goes I put my buds to utter shame (not braggin... Ok mabey a little) and they fish the 5500, I think the line level mechanically slows the cast but that's just me...