Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sageguy

Skunk Family Under the Back Deck...How to Remove

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

We noticed them last night as we were leaving the cottage, a parade of 6 leaves from under the back deck and takes a tour of the neighborhood........with 4 kids and decent weather, their is bound to be a run in......which I want to avoid......................any tips for humane removal, something to make them find new residence, or extermination.

View PostWe noticed them last night as we were leaving the cottage, a parade of 6 leaves from under the back deck and takes a tour of the neighborhood........with 4 kids and decent weather, their is bound to be a run in......which I want to avoid......................any tips for humane removal, something to make them find new residence, or extermination.

Call a profesonnial. I removed several over the years from my parents place. I used a havahart trap then took them way back in the field and disposed of them. Its not cool when you do it around the houses and they release the stink tank once they are dead.

I have a family of skunks living in my yard. They are extremely friendly and have never been a problem. I'm keeping mine.smile.gif

Most skunks scavenge from trash cans. I'll bet there are some open cans in the vicinity. If they can't get food easily they will leave of their own volition.

I don't know what your deck looks like but I had the same problem with a slightly raised deck. There was an area about 30 feet along one side they could get under. I blocked almost all the space with some spare patio blocks I had but left a 1 foot space open for them to exit from. After they left for the night I covered that space and they went somewhere else to find a new home.

The part hey live under is a platform that sits on the ground, they dug an entry way that a dog could fit thru..................I poured a gallon of ammonia in when I left today, perhaps discourage returning.......perhaps.

View PostThe part hey live under is a platform that sits on the ground, they dug an entry way that a dog could fit thru..................I poured a gallon of ammonia in when I left today, perhaps discourage returning.......perhaps.

I also did the ammonia thing and it worked. Best is if you could soak rags in ammonia and put them where the skunks gather.

View Post

...any tips for humane removal, something to make them find new residence, or extermination.

Sure. Buy a Havahart trap or build a home-made. Over the years I've probably caught and released over a couple of dozen skunks. If they didn't make a mess of our lawn by digging it up looking for grubs, I'd probably leave them alone. Aside from what they do to lawns, they're not much of a bother.

I wouldn't recommend killing them. No need to if you can trap them. What I do is just take them elsewhere and release them. Don't worry about them spraying you because they don't like the smell any more than we do. Just throw a blanket or large towel over the trap. When you take him to his new residence, just remove the towel and open the door. They usually just walk away.

Below are pic's of a couple I caught and released. And no, I've never been sprayed. (Not yet, anyway.) wink.gif