Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beechnut

Teasers anyone?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone use teasers with bucktails or plugs? Do they enhance success or create a benefit to adding them?

I thought about tying some up, but I was wondering if it will only create more tangles and require much more effort than they are worth?

I do but mostly when fluking, pretty effective!

I occasionally leave the teaser on when casting a bucktail on jetties but I don't like it as much as I have experienced many double headers of blue and that's not fun to handle.

I usually do. Tied right, there is no tangle. You lose some casting distance, however.

Lots of guys on this site will tell you that often it's the teaser, not the main plug/jig, which produces the fish.

Also, the teaser gives a smaller presentation than the plug and you have two shots at mimicking the bait in the water.

I used to use them, but I got sick of taking all the bass off of them when I tried to reel in my plugs.wink.gif

They are especially good for schoolies because they get hit a lot and the single hook makes for an easy release.

There has been much said about teasers in this forum. As they always say "Do a Search" In the fall I very rarely fish without one and especially if the fish are feeding on sandeels since teasers can be made to imitate sandeels very well.

I have used them and have caught fish on only the teaser when my friend using the same plug next to me with no teaser wouldn't get a hit.

I think they are best used with a plug like a bomber, tin...anything below the surface because when used with a popper or a swimer the teaser may not even be in the water because many times the rod is held high at an angle.

Just my opinion though

Teasers can really help. I love them in the late fall with charlie graves tins always great action. I happen to feel that good teasers are worth it. I use salt water flies that I tie rather than just a pinch of bucktail. The extra effort works for me. Other guys absolutely swear by red gills. But beware the yellow eyes when tossing a BST $ 90 plug behind your teaser

View PostI usually do. Tied right, there is no tangle. You lose some casting distance, however.

Lots of guys on this site will tell you that often it's the teaser, not the main plug/jig, which produces the fish.

Also, the teaser gives a smaller presentation than the plug and you have two shots at mimicking the bait in the water.

What's the best way to tie the teaser? I've never used one before, would like to try it out. Currently, I've got a breakaway clip at the end of a piece of fluoro leader. Would I tie the teaser on in between?

I like a swivel between main line and leader, and then the dropper loop about 12" after the swivel (on the leader). Then tie a 12" leader onto the teaser, so that the teaser is a full 24" behind the swivel. I like a 6' leader, because it keeps the main lure a full 4' behind the teaser, which gives plenty of room for a fish to come up and strike the teaser.

I've had good success using a small pink squid lure as the teaser. I forget who makes them, but they have the built in weighted hook, similar to a swim shad. They are about 2 or 3" long. Use them in combination with a big swim shad, such as a 7" tsunami. I only get hits on the teaser.

I've also had luck using white or chartruese saltwater flies followed by an eel tin with a large rubber eel.

I use teasers often with swimmer lures...I tie about a 8" - 12" piece of leader material to my swivel (at the same connection as the main line). My main leader is connected from the other end of the swivel to the swimmer lure. My teasers are flies...I'll vary depending on the conditions - sometimes I'll use weighted flies so that the teaser will dip below the lure when I pause my retrieve; sometimes an unweighted fly so that it rides at or above the swimmer...sometimes I use flies to look like the swimmer lure is feeding on the fly - sometimes the fly will be about the same size as the swimmer to make it look like they're in a school. My knot is usually a trilene or improved clinch knot. This set up has worked well for me.

Thanks guys. I'm still working on my knots, so I'd probably stick to the dropper loop for now. There tends to be quite a bit of spearing in most of the places I fish, so I'm guessing a teaser would probably help.