Bait Prices

Rate this topic

Daddykinz

View PostHi all, I'm new to surf fishing. It's late June 2009. What is a fair price for frozen clams and sea worms. Any price is fine for me when I am desperate to get out there. I'm just curious to know if I'm getting soaked before I get to the water.

If someone sells you frozen clams you are getting soaked. Fresh clams are easily available now and prices range from around $5 to $10 a dozen. When buying clams, make sure they are alive and fresh. If they have a strong smell (stink) to them or don't close up when tapped you probably don't want to fish with them.

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

View PostIf someone sells you frozen clams you are getting soaked. Fresh clams are easily available now and prices range from around $5 to $10 a dozen. When buying clams, make sure they are alive and fresh. If they have a strong smell (stink) to them or don't close up when tapped you probably don't want to fish with them.

This has me curious now.

Harbor Bait in Pocasett, MA sells quarts of Sea Clams, heavily salted. He told me these are the best way to buy clams? Is this not true? I think I bought them not frozen, but I could be wrong on that.

Maybe this is why I never catch crap on them?

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

What would be the deal with digging clams in the sand for bait with a shellfish permit in MA? Is that illegal? I guess it would be huh?

Are quahogs good as bait? I can get those by the millions in my area.

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

View PostThis has me curious now.

Harbor Bait in Pocasett, MA sells quarts of Sea Clams, heavily salted. He told me these are the best way to buy clams? Is this not true? I think I bought them not frozen, but I could be wrong on that.

This is not true, heavily salted clams are not the best way to buy clams. Fresh, live is the best way to buy them for stripers. Heavily salted might be find for cod or haddock, but not so much for bass. In NJ, you can buy live surf clams at almost every shop - it's probably not that way in MA redface.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

View PostWhen buying clams, make sure they are alive and fresh. If they have a strong smell (stink) to them or don't close up when tapped you probably don't want to fish with them.

Not exactly true. I had my best night ever (fishing bait) on clams that were thawed and frozen a couple of times. They were so soft if you put a hook through them and held them up you would watch the hook tear through the clam as it fell off. I needed a lot of thread the keep the clams on the hook long enough to get them out there. However, once in the water, they didn't last more than a minute. Bass or weakfish each time. I personally wouldn't shy away clams just because they were not fresh and live. I do think salting them makes them less affective.

I ate one anchovy, and that is why I did not eat two anchovies.

View PostIf someone sells you frozen clams you are getting soaked. Fresh clams are easily available now and prices range from around $5 to $10 a dozen. When buying clams, make sure they are alive and fresh. If they have a strong smell (stink) to them or don't close up when tapped you probably don't want to fish with them.

My brother bought a bushel of skimmers and put them in the back yard, planning to open later that day. Well, one thing led to another and he forgot about them and got cooked from the sun the next day. Talk about stink. He was a little short on cash so he schucked them out any way. That night he almost wiped out the bass population with those nasty buggers. Ya never know. Right after a storm when the clams wash up on the beach and they cook a bit, fish the next high tide "in close"

John LIBBA 440 MSA 791
MEMBER: Team Green
Monday to Friday I do nothing. Saturday and Sunday I rest.