Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bounty Htr

which knot...

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I use the slim beauty for big changes in diameter too. But I've been calling it a Key West Slim. Finally know the real name now.

Cheers,

Jim

View PostSlim beauty knot for leader to leader connection and improved clinch knot for leader to class tippethighfive.gif

How do you do an improved clinch between the 2? Or did you mean improved blood?

View PostBloodknot for me, improved if there is a big diameter change. Improved blood for class tippet to bite tippet.

I use the same. Every guide I know also used the bloodknot. Everything that swims including tuna. Never had it fail.

Foulhook,

Even a 20 Lb class tippet to an 80 lb bite tippet?

Formula 1,

Big eyes wrote it backwards. He meant a slim from his class tippet to large bite tippet.

Cheers,

Jim

View PostHow do you get the 80 to wrap around 2 strands of 12 and stay put?

I've always been good at tying knots...but to answer, just being very careful. Plus it's not like you're using 6 wraps, it's 2 wraps and it's more like intertwining of the 2 different strength monos than one wrapping around the other.

View PostFoulhook,

Even a 20 Lb class tippet to an 80 lb bite tippet?

Formula 1,

Big eyes wrote it backwards. He meant a slim from his class tippet to large bite tippet.

Cheers,

Jim

Yes, granted I am a simple man and normally just use a straight piece of flouro. We have landed some pretty big tuna using a blood knot on 50lb powerpro (12lb diameter) to 60lb flouro

I got you formula. I guess I've been stuck on the simple "stop" knot for bite tippets for a long time, then using a huffnagel (a long time ago) for the class tippet and later the slim beauty. It's easier for me that way, and the bite tippet will be much stronger than the class tippt anyhow, even with a granny for the stop, though I prefer the "figure 8 surgeon' for the stop.

I'm sure a uni would work fine with a stop knot as well.

Cheers,

Jim