Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperfishermanCT

Good Knots for catching Stripers?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi, i have been using the improved clinch knot for a long time now and i absolutly hate it for catching stripers and blues. 50% of the time it lets loose. I am looking for a better knot to connect a #50 braid line to a black steel leader. Any suggestons...

View PostHi, i have been using the improved clinch knot for a long time now and i absolutly hate it for catching stripers and blues. 50% of the time it lets loose. I am looking for a better know to connect a #50 braid line to a black steel leader. Any suggestons...

Black steel leaders not good idea for catching stripers! And as for knots, palomar!! Very powerful knot and easy to tie.wink.gif

View PostHi, i have been using the improved clinch knot for a long time now and i absolutly hate it for catching stripers and blues. 50% of the time it lets loose. I am looking for a better know to connect a #50 braid line to a black steel leader. Any suggestons...

Your tying it wrong. An Improved Clinch will hold on any striper (I even use them for tuna). Check your steps again.

Edit: O, I read you were tying it with braid. I've never done that I just use it with my mono to lure. Try connecting your braid to a mono/fluoro leader with a albright or slim beauty knot. Then tie on your lure with an improved clinch. Or you can do a palomar to a swivel then palomar to mono/fluoro to lure, but I never use swivels.

Welcome to SOL HappyWave.gif

Hmmmmm..............I use the improved clinch quite often and have never had it let loose.But never to a steel leader(which I agree is not recommended for stripers)

Are you tying to a loop on the steel leader?Or trying to joing the 2 "line to line"?

View PostWelcome to SOL HappyWave.gif

Hmmmmm..............I use the improved clinch quite often and have never had it let loose.?

It's all about the saliva. yours is sticky...cwm27.gif

View PostI am looking for a better knot to connect a #50 braid line to a black steel leader. Any suggestons...

Do not use an improved clinch knot for tying braid to any thing!

Palomar or Uniknot.

View PostDo not use an improved clinch knot for tying braid to any thing!

Palomar or Uniknot.

right you are!

meant to say that I use the improved clinch for mono and fluorocarbon.

don't want to mislead the new guy

ok thanks guys... but i here that some of you are telling me not to use steel leaders.. why? is there a better set up to use against stripers? i live where there are a lot of blues so when i go for stripers i sometimes get blues so i need a steel leader. but latley i have been only going for stripers at night, are the blues around at night and feeding like that stripers are..

It depends where you fish...I know a place in NY where there are more blues at night than stripers. I also know a place in NJ that "rarely" you get blues at night but plenty in day time. So when I am in NY, I use steel leader and I catch stripers with it and even weakfish. In NJ I only use mono leaders. Personally I think it is nonsense, although others suggest otherwise.

View Postok thanks guys... but i here that some of you are telling me not to use steel leaders.. why? is there a better set up to use against stripers? i live where there are a lot of blues so when i go for stripers i sometimes get blues so i need a steel leader. but latley i have been only going for stripers at night, are the blues around at night and feeding like that stripers are..

I usually make my own. Fine diam. fishing wire and a small barrel swivel. Use a haywire twist. I keep em short, about 6-8 inches. You can tie an awful lot of leaders and for cheap also.

when i tie the cinch not with braid i put 3 simple over hand knots after the cinch .. the braid is slippery ... i havent had any problems as of yet ... i aso fished with a guy who tied braid direct to the plug and got a leg length bass and thats not suppose to happen because they see the line ...

View PostHi, i have been using the improved clinch knot for a long time now and i absolutly hate it for catching stripers and blues. 50% of the time it lets loose. I am looking for a better knot to connect a #50 braid line to a black steel leader. Any suggestons...

Double the line and tie a uniknot.

Or, try this. Use a Palomar knot to tie on a Coastlock snap or Breakaway clip to the end of your braid, and use that to attach the leader.