Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Where did the word "tackle" come from?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

An email I just received...and I dunno the answer, I figure someone out there doessmile.gif

Where did the term "tackle" come from? As in tackle box.

TimS

This is from the Encarta Encyclopedia

Tackle: 13th century. Origin uncertain: probably from Low GermanÂ*takel "ship's rigging," fromÂ*taken "to seize."

------------------

KLE

[This message has been edited by KLE (edited 08-27-2002).]

I dunno, but a few years back there was one of those Nynex Yellow Page ads on TV.....and they used the term "Fishing Tackle".....showed a nice big fluke being dragged across the screen, a football player, and, well, I guess ya had to see it, but I thought it was great......biggrin.gif

I'm guessing it became a general word for any type of maritime gear. Tim, I bet you know someone in the field of edumacation that could get to the root of this conundrum.biggrin.gif

------------------

KLE

tackle (n.) - c.1250, "apparatus, gear," from M.Du. or M.L.G. takel "the rigging of a ship," perhaps related to M.Du. taken "grasp, seize" (see take). The verb is first recorded c.1340 in the sense of "entangle, involve." The meaning "lay hold of, attack" is from 1828, and that of "try to deal with" (a task or problem) is from 1847. The verb in the sporting sense first recorded 1884.

Come on, your a computer guy. that came up with a search of "etymology tackle" on google.

My 2 cents... near as I can figure, the modern english word "tackle" takes it's root from the 13th century word "takel", which meant... a set of equipment used in a particular activity.

Hence, fishing tackle would be any equipment used particularly for fishing.

And, ummmmm, a tackle box would be a contrivance for amassing and transporting small portions of such equipment.

I think if you look back into BM's family history you will find the secret. When one of his ancestors attempted to "Ho" some gear he would be promptly "tackled". Henceforth, fishing gear came to be known as "tackle".

------------------

yueng.gif

phieagle.gif