Tackle Storage question

Rate this topic

wis99ski

Quick questions for you tackle storage gurus out there.... My plug collection has grown quite significantly over the past few years that I have been surf fishing. I wanted to keep all my plugs that I do not carry with me on the beach in some type of storage (preferable cheap like rubbermade, but they dont have the smaller boxes you store inside to divide the plugs), I need to upgrade from shoe boxes.

My step father has given me quite a number of great plugs / collector pieces that I would rather not store in a shoe box..those really nice plugs are meant to be fished right ??highfive.gif

SO what are your storage utilities???

Rectangular milk crate and 24 tennis ball tubes

It's as though they were made for each other

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Plug File

I have serched the forums for plug storage and have found some really good examples of home made plug boxes, however none of them were what I was looking for. I wanted a box that could hold about 25 plugs to supplement my plug bag and could easily be tossed in my or someone elses rig without being obtrusive, kind of like the SC plug box. 200 clams wasn't happening so I came up with this... hanging file box 11''x11''x14'' $10.84, 1/6'' thick plexiglass panels cut with opposing slots to form a grid $17.58. Portable storage for at least 30 plug for less than 30 bucks.attachment.php?attachmentid=217565&d=123

attachment.php?attachmentid=217566&d=123

attachment.php?attachmentid=217567&d=123

attachment.php?attachmentid=217570&d=123

attachment.php?attachmentid=217571&d=123

attachment.php?attachmentid=217572&d=123

attachment.php?attachmentid=217573&d=123

image.php?type=sigpic&userid=40084&datel

Suare milk crate and some 8' lengths of central vac tubing. You can usually find it at most electric supply houses. It looks like PVC, but the sidewall is much thinner. You should be able to fit 36 tubes into a milk crate. I think the crate is 13" tall. I cut my tubes to 8-10" depending on the plugs.

Before I put the tubes into the crate, I put a sheet of thin foam board into the bottom with holes drilled out of it for any potential drainage. It prevents the longer plugs from passing through thte bottom and getting hooked up on the crate.

BTW--All of this information I found here on SOL

View PostPlug File

I have serched the forums for plug storage and have found some really good examples of home made plug boxes, however none of them were what I was looking for. I wanted a box that could hold about 25 plugs to supplement my plug bag and could easily be tossed in my or someone elses rig without being obtrusive, kind of like the SC plug box. 200 clams wasn't happening so I came up with this... hanging file box 11''x11''x14'' $10.84, 1/6'' thick plexiglass panels cut with opposing slots to form a grid $17.58. Portable storage for at least 30 plug for less than 30 bucks.

I want to make that..great work keep the posts it coming!

View PostQuick questions for you tackle storage gurus out there.... My plug collection has grown quite significantly over the past few years that I have been surf fishing. I wanted to keep all my plugs that I do not carry with me on the beach in some type of storage (preferable cheap like rubbermade, but they dont have the smaller boxes you store inside to divide the plugs), I need to upgrade from shoe boxes.

My step father has given me quite a number of great plugs / collector pieces that I would rather not store in a shoe box..those really nice plugs are meant to be fished right ??highfive.gif

SO what are your storage utilities???

I learned something a couple of years ago from here. I built my own out of PVC. Your home centers sell PVC in different diameters up to 4" drainage solid PVC in lenghts of 10' and most sizes in between.You can cut the size you need and attached them to a surface faceup. This is the cheapest way that I know of doing it and it does not look bad.

View PostOnly square transparent tubes I can think of would be like the plug bag replacements from The Surfcaster, et. al.

Another option I've seen on this forum is to use shop light bulb covers.

Those clear t12 shop light bulb covers work but only temporarily they get brittle after one season of being left in the car. I salvaged a couple hundred from a commercial lighting job just for this reason, and have since gone a different route. The hooks can crack the tube and get hung up very fragile.

the white fencing pieces cut to size looks like the best solution. when its fully loaded you can't really see whats what without looking from above anyway.

Looks like a fun project for the gf. Or during the doldrum months.

Thanks for a great thread

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims