Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RuthBaseball22

Lake Hopatcong

14 posts in this topic

View Postactually, now its a lot better. i have been there a few times to fish around my house. the water is actually almost where it is supposed to be for the summer.

thats great to hear that the lake is back in good shape so i guess theres nothing left to do but fish on

Best PRO tip for fishing hopatcong

DON'T TRY TO FISH THE WHOLE LAKE IN ONE DAY!!!

If you've never spent much time on the lake, talk to one of the guys at the shop on the lake. Tell him your preferred technique, and ask him to point you in the right direction. Pick a bay and fish it thoroughly.

So many people make the mistake of trying to run one obvious spot to the next. And skipping all the water in between. The lake, even with its size gets a tremendous amount of pressure. Its the inbetween water that will produce for ya.

Another mistake is People spend all day trying to skip boat docks. Don't spend too much time doing that because its very non productive. And it forces you to skip over the inbetween water, and leads to the very bad technique of two cast and quit.

My best days there were when I would motor to an entrance to a bay, and just use the electric to navigate the shoreline.

If you have electronics, and more importantly know how to use them effectively locate edges of weedlines (which is difficult in hopatcong because its by no means a straight line.) concentrate fishing the outside and inside.

I know its a bit late but hope this helps a little for future outings. I've logged about 800hrs (mostly evenings to dawn)on that lake, and it can be frustrating at times. Oh yeah, another thing, make sure your batteries, and gas tank are topped off if you plan on going at night. It makes for a long ride in if you get lost. And yes its very simple to get turned around if your not familiar with the lake and all its bays.

I work very near the lake and I tell ya, THERE'S NO FISH in Lake Hopatcongcwm15.gifcwm13.gif .

There's plenty of fish in Lake Wannabeedrool.gif . Caught PLENTY of WANNABEE fish this past weekclapping.gif . Just google LAKE WANNABEE, it will take you there.

Scientist just discovered a new strain of VIRUS exploding around the lake. If you fish there, you must wear a badge on the back of your clothing stating "VIRUS ALERT". This will educate everyone else of the possible contamination.

Happy Hunting.

View Posttopwater plugs at night...good luck and have fun

I was juts invited for a 10pm to 2am run on the lake mid-week to do exactly this. I'll let you know how we make out.

View PostI work very near the lake and I tell ya, THERE'S NO FISH in Lake Hopatcongcwm15.gifcwm13.gif .

There's plenty of fish in Lake Wannabeedrool.gif . Caught PLENTY of WANNABEE fish this past weekclapping.gif . Just google LAKE WANNABEE, it will take you there.

Scientist just discovered a new strain of VIRUS exploding around the lake. If you fish there, you must wear a badge on the back of your clothing stating "VIRUS ALERT". This will educate everyone else of the possible contamination.

Happy Hunting.

What are you talking about. Never heard of a lake wannabee, there is no virus alert on the lake?????

Biggest bunch of B.S. I've heard in a while.clapping.gif

The Fackawee Indians discovered Lake Wannabee. The chief paddled his canoe down a creek and into the floodwaters of Lake Wannabee and said:

Where the #@*k-are-we?

Yakkin Rican is pulling your chain buddy.....

View PostThe Fackawee Indians discovered Lake Wannabee. The chief paddled his canoe down a creek and into the floodwaters of Lake Wannabee and said:

Where the #@*k-are-we?

Yakkin Rican is pulling your chain buddy.....

I am very gullible at 2am.

My fiance caught a pretty nice walleye a few weeks ago in an area our friend who lives on the lake calls "the swamps".

4819_1196841880245_1204421161_990091_260

I got a few bites on some shiners, but the hook didn't set. She was the big winner that day.

I've fished for stripers on a reservoir near here using chicken liver with good results almost any time of the day. After you find spots that hold stripers, you can go with almost any bass lure you like.