Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gkern21

catfish help please

9 posts in this topic

have a catfish contest tomorrow at the marina where we keep our boat. What do you use? I have always used things like pepperoni and hot dogs but they do no produse good results. Suggestions?

Depends on the type catfish where you're fishing. In general, cut shad/Alewives (if available), cut eel, and cut Bluegill (live for Flatheads) are your prime baits. Shrimp works pretty well if other baits aren't available. And as mentioned, night crawlers or chicken livers will also work. You can rig with a 3 way swivel (single or tandem), Carolina, or fish finder rigs. Catfish are spawning here now, and it's very slow. I would do a quick search for your area, to better understand the norm for your area....smile.gif

My first choice: Shrimp. Raw. Top and bottom rig or a long shanked snelled hook and a weight on the snap swivel.

Second: Cut bait. White perch, bluegill, golden shiner, gizzard shad or whatever is common in your area.

icon14.gif

That was entertaining, lots of links to boot! smile.gif

Don't know how the little arrow got in your post, but it takes you to the vid also.... something different, lol

If I can't get shad, I'll catch a few bluegills, fillet them, and use a strip about an inch wide and 1-1/4" long. Shad guts are prime catfish bait also, have also caught striper on shad gut. A nightcrawler is hard to beat, as long as you don't have a bunch of baitstealing bream and perch nearby. Raw shrimp, crawdads, chicken livers are all good baits. I think it's best to stay away from commercial stink baits. They seem to catch only small cats and turtles. A big chub or shiner about 6" or 7" will catch catfish, you can cut them into two pieces and let the guts hang out.