Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing17402

Pencil Question?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Canal vs Regular. I am starting on building up a collection of pencils and was wondering what the difference is between a canal style pencil and regular pencil. I know the canal has a flat bottom but it is still worked in the same manner.

I've always worked both styles the same, and never really noticed a difference in action. The canal style ones stay on top a little better in fast moving rips/current (IE, the canal wink.gif). I use the other ones in surf or still water.

Most pencil poppers float at rest anyway, so the flat surface really doesn't help them stay on top better.

But originally, that was the purpose of the flat bottom on the Gibbs, which is the original "Canal Special" pencil. Stan weighted them for casting, and they sank (and still sink) like a rock. So for Gibbs, it makes a difference. For most others, it really doesn't.

View PostI've always worked both styles the same, and never really noticed a difference in action. The canal style ones stay on top a little better in fast moving rips/current (IE, the canal wink.gif). I use the other ones in surf or still water.

what he said

Interesting, I always thought the flat bottom was to create more splash than the conventional round type. Learn something new everyday!

You can overweight a canal style that has a wide flat bottom to make it cast better (make it a sinker) and it'll still come up to the surface quickly and dance. Round body not so much

<edit - which is what Ditch pretty much just said smile.gif )