Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TF3

Need help figuring these Bass out??

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

4 of the last 5 nights I've had some good sized Bass under the light. I'm throwing everything in the bag, from flies to poppers (no bait), and have only gotten 1 short on the blue/white fly. They don't seem to be feeding on anything, just hanging out. They do look at certain lures, mostly the fly, but the big guys aren't interested. Gulp spray doesn't work!

I've seen a few that are upper 30's" and would like to get one on little Stella. Any ideas would be appreciatedwink.gif

With the fly rod I would try a dropper rig (three droppers) with small flies. I would give some shrimp patterns and maybe some tiny rays flies a try. Different flies on the droppers till you find what they want. The other night I was out with my plugging stick, and the fish were there-but popping on shrimp! Arrrgh. Good luck.

You need a different angle - or a stealthier approach smile.gif They know you are up there HappyWave.gif They aren't aggressively feeding, but they are feeding...there's no other reason for them to put themselves at risk being so high up in the water column. They are forced, by competition, to get higher and higher in the water column to have a shot at whatever food is passing by. If there were just one or two fish, they'd stay 4-5ft down and out of sight and rise to the passing food. The fact that they are visible means there's enough competition for them to risk being that near the surface.

Get a better angle, drift a small, sparse white clouser with peacock herl and pearl crystal flash...something like #2 or maybe 1/0 in size. Set up at an angle where you can let the fly drift towards them and then give it a little twitch just as it comes into their sight - it's very hard for them to resist smile.gif

TimS

Do you guys get crab hatches down there?

We get them here and the bass will just feed on top, slurping them.

I haven't found anything they will hit when they are on a crab hatch.

Bob- if you're fly fishing try crab flies (unweighted) (google " fly tying Merkin" or 'tying del brown's permit fly")

If you're throwing plugs google "CW Crab plug" they have a 1/2 oz floating crab that looks like it might be good if you run into that a lot. I've never used it and the hooks looks small, but it might be worth a shot...

View Post4 of the last 5 nights I've had some good sized Bass under the light. I'm throwing everything in the bag, from flies to poppers (no bait), and have only gotten 1 short on the blue/white fly. They don't seem to be feeding on anything, just hanging out. They do look at certain lures, mostly the fly, but the big guys aren't interested. Gulp spray doesn't work!

I've seen a few that are upper 30's" and would like to get one on little Stella. Any ideas would be appreciatedwink.gif

Are you fly fishing or using teasers??

View PostBob- if you're fly fishing try crab flies (unweighted) (google " fly tying Merkin" or 'tying del brown's permit fly"

If you're throwing plugs google "CW Crab plug" they have a 1/2 oz floating crab that looks like it might be good if you run into that a lot. I've never used it and the hooks looks small, but it might be worth a shot...

headscratch.gif Any Merkin or Del Brown that I tied or seen has a Dunbell eye ( Weighted)

Tim nailed it. Gotta stay away from them. Are you throwing a shadow onto the water? Keep your distance. Fish in lights spook very easy.

I dont throw fly's, so if it were me I'd be throwing a pink fin-s with a 1/4 or 1/8 oz jig head. work it super slow. painfully slow.

View PostBob- if you're fly fishing try crab flies (unweighted) (google " fly tying Merkin" or 'tying del brown's permit fly")

That'll work if they're small crabs, but when crabs hatch they're almost invisible little larvae - if I were to try to tie one it'd be on something like a 22 cwm31.gif

Yeah, if it's crabs or worms they are really tiny, a lot of times there will be a flock of birds just sitting on the water eating them, not working at all.

Last night there were at least 10 fish under the light from about 25" to 35". Since they spook so easily I didn't want to throw anything and was concidering netting one because they come to the surface a lot. It seems that if you throw something they like it has to happen on the first cast. After that they spook. So, I'm waiting for the right fish with the right posture............. net in handkooky.gif The fish started to get real active. Swimming faster, bunching up, almost like a game had started. I decide to get a rod. Put a 5" white FinS on a 1/2 oz leadhead. I throw it about 20' past the light and start draggin it back. By the time I caught sight of the FinS there were 5-6 Bass chasing it. The 29" atefrown.gif and that was that, they really do clear out.

Not sure if you're only sticking with flies, but if not, I would load up some live eels. Bass will hit them, even if they aren't feeding...at least that's how the story goes. cwm15.gif

View PostLast night there were at least 10 fish under the light from about 25" to 35". Since they spook so easily I didn't want to throw anything and was concidering netting one because they come to the surface a lot. It seems that if you throw something they like it has to happen on the first cast. After that they spook. So, I'm waiting for the right fish with the right posture............. net in handkooky.gif The fish started to get real active. Swimming faster, bunching up, almost like a game had started. I decide to get a rod. Put a 5" white FinS on a 1/2 oz leadhead. I throw it about 20' past the light and start draggin it back. By the time I caught sight of the FinS there were 5-6 Bass chasing it. The 29" atefrown.gif and that was that, they really do clear out.

Get a better angle HappyWave.gif

View PostNot sure if you're only sticking with flies, but if not, I would load up some live eels. Bass will hit them, even if they aren't feeding...at least that's how the story goes. cwm15.gif

I really don't use bait and the tackle shops around here don't have any eelswink.gif