Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

Bigger impact?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

take two and go home, or catch and release a dozen?

why?

I knew old-timers that would take two fish and call it quits after that or target fluke or blues for the rest of the day.

They limited out, so that was that. No more bassin for the rest of the day (or the week). But that was a long time ago...

I know a few folks that insist on catching as many as they can - releasing every caught fish. Why not, they are making a day of it.

I don't have a problem with either practice. smile.gif

I hear a lot of talk about release mortality - still a point of contention.

Most of us are not fishing for dinner, although some of us are.

Some also argue that srtripers do not taste good - I would argue that some well known restaurants also serve dog-food. (Some people tend to over-cook saltwater fish.)

If this thread detracts into "illegals taking too many fish: or a tangent commentary on poachers, I ask you to refrain.

Comparitively speaking: I recall in Germany or another European country, the state mandated catch and release, but also limited the number of caught fish to two.

So the extreme condition - as soon as you caught two fish and promptly released them, you were done for the day. Any fish caught beyond the limit of two in one day and you are breaking the law.

I don't think I'd like to see that in the USA, however there are some folks that would unknowingly sidle up with that kind of law thinking it would do some kind of good.

I think that if fishermen no longer see fishing as a means to feed oneself, that it's a shift in favor of the anti lunies. Even assuming that food-fishing is highly cost ineffective(debatable imo) it doesnt mean we should reject fish as food. If for no other reason than to combat the pita types, fish should be kept and consumed in reasonable, sustainable amounts.

I think there's a larger problem, in that people keep way too many.

Example,

one guy fishes 4 times per year and on one trip he finally gets his limit of fish and keeps them all.

another guy fishes very often, or has a boat and takes people out all the time, and keeps a few fish per trip.

The second guy above obviously keeps way more fish, but when he has one or two in the cooler, it doesn't look bad.

The only way I can think of for us to truely share the resources is to issue tags just like we do for other game animals. With a license, issue 6 - 12 tags for stripers, and 24-48 tags for fluke, and so on. When you run out of tags, you are done. Make them non-transferable. We'll be paying for licenses soon enough, and all they need to do is issue tags and force people to use them. It'll also give a very accurate count of what we take.

My example above might be bad, but I'm beat right now, so take it for what it's worth. Bottom line is that you don't need to keep fish on every trip and you don't need to feed the neighborhood.

View PostI dont see an option for guys that get there limit, then C&R the rest of there trip?

Isn't that pretty much almost every charter boat?

option 3 could cover that if you like.

The only way I can think of for us to truely share the resources is to issue tags just like we do for other game animals. With a license, issue 6 - 12 tags for stripers, and 24-48 tags for fluke, and so on. When you run out of tags, you are done. Make them non-transferable. We'll be paying for licenses soon enough, and all they need to do is issue tags and force people to use them. It'll also give a very accurate count of what we take.

ChumSlickJon's idea has a lot of merit. Especially the non-transferable part. The only drawback I can see is the same old problem of enforcement. Without that all ideas are useless.