Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cityhunter

Tuna jigs......

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hammered diamond jigs 6-10oz with an upgraded hook are tried and true. Have also had a lot of luck with the metallic sardine ( as many others have as well) silver, pink, and glow.

"Hammered diamond jigs 6-10oz with an upgraded hook are tried and true."

They aren't fancy but they work really well. Bluefin like them bounced off the bottomsmile.gif and to hammer it home upgrade the hooks and make sure they are sharp!! Lost 2 150-200 pounders back to back last year because even though the hooks were upgraded they weren't sharp. Jigs just fell out of their mouth 10 minutes into the fight.

John

View Post"Hammered diamond jigs 6-10oz with an upgraded hook are tried and true."

They aren't fancy but they work really well. Bluefin like them bounced off the bottomsmile.gif and to hammer it home upgrade the hooks and make sure they are sharp!! Lost 2 150-200 pounders back to back last year because even though the hooks were upgraded they weren't sharp. Jigs just fell out of their mouth 10 minutes into the fight.

John

If it was on for 10 minutes I don't think it was the dull hook that caused it.

View PostIf it was on for 10 minutes I don't think it was the dull hook that caused it.

Absolutely possible. Tuna have very "bony" mouths, and if the hook is not sharp enough to penetrate it, you can be hooked - but not really.

"If it was on for 10 minutes I don't think it was the dull hook that caused it."

It was the only thing we could figure. I bought the jigs the night before and they came with upgraded/welded hooks. Both fish we fought for about 10 minutes and then suddenly the jigs just came free. I stewed about that all afternoon because we knew they were big fish. The 2 boats around us had already released 3-4 fish over 150# and kept 180-200 pounders as their one bag limit when we came upon the spot. That night I pulled out the jigs and took a look and those hooks were dull as dull could be. I couldn't believe I never checked the points. They looked like a mustad that had never been sharpened. I still believe the hooks just never penetrated in far enough because they were dull.

There are plenty of jigs that work. Its just a matter of what they want at the time and if they are line shy or not.

Tried and trued hammered diamond jigs work great as do hammered Sardines.

Others to try, Shimano butteryfly, Williamson, Jigging Master, OTI, Profish, Seven Seas.

I've caught tuna on ViKe jigs, the curved three-sided jigs associated with codfishing.

Even a sharp hook will cut a hole in a tuna's mouth after awhile, and the weight of the jig makes it easy for the jig to slip out of the hole. The longer the fight, the bigger the hole that the hook will cut. Reducing that leverage is part of the reason that jigs fitted with assist hooks work as well as they do. It's also a reason to use the lightest jigs, within reason, that depth and boat movement will allow.