Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisher1630

Plug color?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Why is it that we tend to fish black plugs at night, lighter plugs during the day, bright colors when the water is murky? Bunker are the same color at night as they are during the day. Sand eels are the same color in clear water as they are in murky water. Obviously stripers have no problem finding bunker or sand eels or whatever under varying conditions so why do we have to change plug colors. Just wanted to see what you guys had to say on the subject.

I agree. I've had white work on dark nights, black at midday, etc. Once in a while, color seems critical, but it's hard to prove that color was the key. Action is usually most important. Don't stick too closely to the "rules" if they don't produce.

View PostI agree. I've had white work on dark nights, black at midday, etc. Once in a while, color seems critical, but it's hard to prove that color was the key. Action is usually most important. Don't stick too closely to the "rules" if they don't produce.

"Rules" are meant to be brokenicon14.gif I only fish white bucktails, I think I own 1 green one, 1 yellow one & 1 black one, all of them are brand new and most likely will stay new. White works for me night or day. Now IF there is a specific bait in the water, you might want to try to match the color to that, but don't go by dark-night light-day stuff. Experiment and see what works for you. Remember, every lure company has a trillion colors, you'll go broke trying to find the right color when you should be trying to find the right lure!