Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VinnyBocchino

commercial builders clear coating?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I know most people on here including myself use pretty much e-tex or epoxy or in some cases a spray on aerosol can clear coat on their homemade plugs. I was just wondering about what these commercial builders use on their plugs because their clear coat is so different. Just by me looking around at the plugs everybody makes on here, I'm pretty sure that it would be very hard to get a hand on this stuff, plus I would expect it to be pretty expensive if it was possible to get it somehow. I'll stick to my e-tex for my plug building, but I was always curious to what these commercial builders use. Anybody got some ideas?

I'm sure you'll find that there are a variety of products used by commercial builders. Probably very little, if any, of this would be of use to garage builders. Also has to do with the application methods: spraying, dipping as opposed to painting it on. I would be willing to bet that the stuff that most of the commercial builders use is not available to the public, is best used for large batches (100's not 10's), and requires various safety equipment to use. Stick to what you use now.

Jigman

I hear RM Smith uses magic to coat his plugs biggrin.gif

Vinny, I've heard of some people using automotive clear coats, and other stuff that is both very hazardous and very harmful to use. Not really for us hobby builders to try.

The best coatings go hand in hand with the being the most toxic.Commercial builders need to have better than average coatings or people will complain that they pay to much for a plug that does not last that long.Tough business as your reputation hangs on many differing opinions about the same product.That is why i just give away and trade my plugs that way if it don't swim or the paint falls off what can you say you got it for nothing LOL....

View PostThe best coatings go hand in hand with the being the most toxic.Commercial builders need to have better than average coatings or people will complain that they pay to much for a plug that does not last that long.Tough business as your reputation hangs on many differing opinions about the same product.That is why i just give away and trade my plugs that way if it don't swim or the paint falls off what can you say you got it for nothing LOL....

You said free plugs????drool.gifwink.gif

Lu is right though Vinny, those top coats that they are using is expensive and hazardous to your health if the proper procedures are not followed. On top of that you also would want to coat about 100+ plugs at a time to be cost effective.beers.gif

2K is available in an aerosol can if you care to google, the downside part from cost is the health dangers as they contain isocyanides which are a known cause of asthma onset in adults, it's not something you want to mess about with unless you have proper safty equipment.

Regards Charles

View Postwhat a shame frown.gif I love some of the clear coating the commercial builders use.

Shame Vinny? No you should be happy that your lungs will last longer than a carton of milk. Having breathing problems that will hinder your ability to fish or even enjoy life is not worth the "pretty coats"

View PostShame Vinny? No you should be happy that your lungs will last longer than a carton of milk. Having breathing problems that will hinder your ability to fish or even enjoy life is not worth the "pretty coats"

Very true point smile.gif

Google: Pelucid

This topcoat is serious business. Can be brushed on, sprayed, dipped (smaller baits). Moisture cure, single part topcoat.

I have used e-tex for 95% of my stuff, but this other stuff is INSANE.

please be careful guys, use ventilation and read the instructions

gl

LIfishinVT has been using your basic polyurethane for as long as he has been making lures, and no one complains about his finish!

something to consider, you might just surprise yourself at what you can find wink.gif

View PostJameso that pelucid stuff looks promising, expensive though! cwm31.gif

I got a can of the stuff which was something like $30 shipped. I would estimate I could topcoat 250-500 lures with that one can. It is very thin. I would also estimate that the can ruined far before that!

These single part moisture cure topcoats once exposed to air, will cure in the container. You need to spray something like bloxygen in to the can before putting the lid back on. There are dozens of threads discussing these types of topcoats in Tackle Underground. search pelucid or DNLC which are basically the same thing.

careful guys

I stick to etex though, its simple and safe

As JigMan said pelucid is very dangerous stuff. I would never refer that product to anyone.

I messed with it once about 5-6 years ago and would not want to have it in my shop at all.

The life you save may be your own!

Bernzy