Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Florence dude

Have an idea.....Braided mono [ not the fly fishing stuff]

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

its not that much of a fishing question as a...i dont know how to put it but i came up with an idea one day chunking with braid...Im thinking of coming up with an invention that will both bring durablity in a small size considering fishing line. I came up with Braided-Mono...Braid on the inside and a small coating of mono on the outside...As you all know that 50lb. braid is smaller than 50lb. mono. Now i was thinking put the braid on the inside for strength and durability and a mono coating on the outside so when your weitght moves or your line drifts along the rocks...the braid doesnt get beaten up and get frayed...the mono will withstand the torture. Everyone that fishes knows that braid is smaller than mono considering width.. Now putting this all together and wanting to get the idea out to you experienced fishermen and i want to know if you would buy this product and if you like this product and if you can tell me what the advantages/disadvanges would be... Also i dont know if you would know this but who would patent this or at least consider making this product.

Thanks

Nick

Nick, all you need to do is Patent the "idea". Once someone tries to make it, they would have to pay you royalties.smile.gif Problem is, Patenting something takes quite while and quite a few bucks.. Idea sounds good in theory, I'd go for it.

Chris

Interesting idea. I wonder how this would work in an area of high stress/tension like a knot. Would the braid core eventually cut through the mono layer?

View PostInteresting idea. I wonder how this would work in an area of high stress/tension like a knot. Would the braid core eventually cut through the mono layer?

maybe after the knot but if it goes thru the mono after the knot, you dont unite the knot, you tie a new one and cut off what was just used and if the braid DOES go thru the mono [not saying it will..not saying it wont 100% great question] you will have the braid to keep the line from snapping because of the durablilty

I think there are lines along that concept already, although the mono is on the inside with braid spun around it. The idea is to make it easier to handle on spinning reels. I think TufLine makes it.

If you looked at a simple fly line you'll find the same thing.. Now fly lines have a hollow braided core like jerry brown and a polymer on the outside. I don't see why you couldn't do this with mono.

cabelas had a very simalar product years ago I have a few spools left untapped as it really sucked. It was coated with a nylon type material, inside was not braided but just unfused silk. If you did not tie a perfect knot it tore right through the coating. stuffs gotta be from 1999

back when fenwick iron thread was pretty much the only braid marketed they had a fly line which was along the lines as to what your looking to do

now if you took braided mono and interlaced pe fibers that may be interesting but the mono would most likely wear out before the pe. and the lack of equal stretch would probably result in broken pe fibers within the mono yarns

For what reason am i designing this product.....well just for the good of anglers that want the best out of their product...Durability of the braid and the protection of the mono.. also im designing this product because i came up with it while chunking with braid[not a god idea] and my braid was getting frayed so i thought of putting a mono coating on the braid. Also im trying to get the idea and feedback from this product to see if its even worth to make an investment in

Manufacturing could be an issue, considering that you'd have to devise some type of extrusion machine that keeps the braid centered in the molten mono before it cools.

But then again, plastic coated electrical wire exists, which is extruded in a similar way.

I like the idea, I'd give it a whirl.

View PostManufacturing could be an issue, considering that you'd have to devise some type of extrusion machine that keeps the braid centered in the molten mono before it cools.

But then again, plastic coated electrical wire exists, which is extruded in a similar way.

I like the idea, I'd give it a whirl.

I'm pretty sure that nylon has a higher melt point than the polyethylene used in the braid.

The braid would melt while trying to extrude the nylon coating on it.