Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shipwreck

I have had it with SL snobs

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

This is now the third CONSECUTIVE time I have been hassled at the Spring Lake Private Beach Club just south of The Breakers.

I actually posted about this before. Its near the kayak beach so I am there often. Sometimes I grab the rod and take a walk to a nice little area just south of there.

Last year while fishing right next to the jetty 150yds from the nearest flag, I get a snot nosed kid telling me its a private beach and fishing is not allowed. I had my boys with me so I left. Later that year I was by myself and it was early morning and as they were setting up a guard comes over and tells me the same thing. I stood my ground and he called the head guard. I kept fishing but had to go to work and left before he got there. I posted about the SL beaches that day.

Last night I was looking for some fluke at 6:30pm. Nobody but me and the surfers. The wind was clocking and the beach was deserted. I make my way over enjoying the sight of a lone kayak guy surfing some pretty impressive waves.

I was 200yds to the south of him. I watched him surf/yak and he eventually comes in. Turns out he is wearing a shirt that says 'top guard' on it. He comes walking over (long walk) and I am eager to talk about some of his paddle strokes, he was good.

He proceeds to say 'can I give you some advice, keep you lure away from me and you might want to think about how stupid it is to fish with bathers in the water' Shocked I look up and down the deserted beach and the gun metal gray sea with huge white capped swells. I go uhhhhhhhhhhh.

He proceeds to tell me I am too stupid to understand but there is this thing called a sideways current, I say "you mean littoral current or drift?"

I dont want to get into it so I say enjoy the summer and I kept fishing. He wanted more, but I would not give it to him.

I am sick of this club doing this. It really got me mad. I was at least 3 casts distance from this guy and he never once was closer than a football field from my jig.

I am going back there with a video camera and gonna youtube this crap. Its not right and just cause you are rich and were fooled into thinking you 'bought' the beach is no cause to violate my privilege to be below the high tide line. This old fart was so itching for a fight. If he is the head guard, you can see why his staff treat 'interlopers' like they do. I think they need a primer course on Public Trust. I think YouTube may be the teacher.

Tell him your tax dollars pay for the sand on the beach and without it his private little beach club would have been wiped out years ago.

Tell him to mind his own business.

^

Absolutely. The guard last year said, "this is a private beach and members only, you cannot be here or fish here" Like I said, my kids were with me, but my head almost blew off.mad.gif

I already got it planned and have a guy in mind who shoots some pro images. Do you think they will suspect something if I am mic'ed for sound and ask them to sign a release form?biggrin.gif

View PostAgree 100%. Maybe we can have some fun on Saturday?highfive.gif

Oh man, I sooo wish I could make it on saturday... I'd love to go push this *****s buttons. Go get him Ship!

The Jenkinson's folks tried that on me many years ago. I told them to go get the police if they thought I was trespassing. They did. I told the police that I believed I had the right to be below the mean high tide line and would be pleased to fight any ticket they felt they had a valid reason to write. I mentioned that I was a law student and had plenty of time to take on a fun summer project to practice lawyering.

They got on their radios, talked to the guards, etc. I let this go on until it was time to go anyway. I let them know that I was going but would be back the next day if they wanted to continue harassing me. Nobody bothered me the next day.

Years later a guard asked me to leave but I agreed at that time that because the bathers were coming out it just wasn't wise to be throwing hooks around them.

Why not have a Network news team come to the beach to interview you?

IMHO Youtube is minor league. Not saying your idea is not a good one, just hit them hard and do it onoly once! clapping.gif

Shipwreck, I know all about the town. Longtime resident. If it makes you feel any better, head north to the Belmar Gates, last jetty in Spring Lake (where I fish) the beach on the north side of the jetty is for fisherman, kayakers and surfers. They do not hassle you there.

View PostShipwreck, I know all about the town. Longtime resident. If it makes you feel any better, head north to the Belmar Gates, last jetty in Spring Lake (where I fish) the beach on the north side of the jetty is for fisherman, kayakers and surfers. They do not hassle you there.

All due respect, but why should he have to move. As long as bathers are not being interfered with, he has a right to be there.

Soooooooo, basically what I read is that we have full access to anything below mean high water, for reasonable, legal recreational activities. You also have reasonable access to a reasonable size of dry sand so that you can fully enjoy those recreational activities. Furthermore, you are allowed to rest a resaonable time on any part of the beach. Wet, dry, etc. They cannot post threatening signs, not restrict access to any part of the beach entirely. Municipalities have a right to charge reasonable access fees, which can/are controlled by the NJDEP. I gather that the fee use is for large lengths of time spent in the dry sand region(above mean high water line), and municipalities MUST privide reasonable access to the waterline for ALL individuals trying to access the inter-tidal zone of the beach.

I'd like to know if you would need to pay if you werte solely using area below the MHW mark. It does say somewhere that walking the shoreline must be allowed free of charge. Wonder if fishing(walking while fishing) or surfing(running to the shore, then getting in, coming out, leaving beach) would all be legally free activites.

I ask because I think pretty much everywhere charges for beach entrance. Either through season badges, daily passes, or wrist bands for the week. Wonder if for fishing, surfing, walking purposes this is legal?

Wait a minute. Im confused. Are you on the beach or in a kayak? They may have some sort of rights to the beach but if you are in a kayak, who are they to say they own the water? Isnt there some law that says nobody can access a private beach above the high tide mark? I thought I read that here actually. They have no right to chase you out if you are on the water in a kayak if thats the case.