Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J

Foot switch

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm finding the variable speed foot switch on my Clemens lathe a bit uncomfortable (back problems) and I have decided to mount it like a sewing machine knee switch instead.

I am going to mount it under the edge of the bench and hang it in a dovetail way so that I can slide it along the length of the bench and operate it with the side of my knee while sitting. While standing, I'll be able to operate it with my hip.

Anyone else do this? How did it work out?

That's the first I have heard of that. I have heard of people rigging up a piece of wood like a step that goes the whole length of the lathe. The foot pedal mechanism stays in place but you can step on the step anywhere along its length and that activates the foot pedal. That wouldn't help you though as I imagine foot peddle or step would hurt you back about the same.

Good luck with you new rig. I hope it eases the back irritation.

I built a little dimmer pack to put in line before the foot pedal. This gives me a limiter for the speed so I can drop the pedal all the way and have moderate speed instead of a Formula One start with a light touch of the pedal.

It makes wrapping a lot easier and when you get a cross wrapped thread, you lift your foot and you only have a few turns to back up, not like, um, 15-20cwm27.gif

I used a surface mount quad box, a flip switch style dimmer and a single receptacle . The cover plate for the quad box is the single receptacle/single light switch configuration, and the dimmer controls the line (power) before the receptacle.

The lathe foot control plugs into the power attenuation (dimmer) box which is plugged into the wall.

I know most of you already knew this, but I thought I would spell it out for those who might not.

I think the whole shebang was less than $20smile.gif

The nice thing is, you can adjust it for each few wraps as the torque changes due to blank diameter difference.

I also have dimmer switch wired in to the foot peddle but just use it to set the foot peddle max to lower than wide open. I still modulate the speed between zero and my preset max by pushing more or less with my foot on the peddle. The only time my foot complains at all by cramping a little is when i do a really long underwrap for the crosswrap. Most days Ii'm ok but sometimes the old brain and fingers refuse to work together and I have to go slow so as not to cross over the prvious wrap. When this happens , that's when my foot sometimes cramps just on the outside top of my instep.

Thanks, I just may add the dimmer to the mix as well. Sounds like a great thing to have and I already have everything here to do it. I've done a lot of electrical work....

My motor has a multi step pulley on it and I find that to be helpful with the speeds as well. Is that a common configuration?

I have trouble putting my weight, sitting or standing, on one side, I know John knows what I am talking about. Any twisting or leaning is a killer.

I'm trying to find a way that keeps me as straight as possible.

I think this will work out pretty well. I'll get started on it as soon as I have this 5M off the bench.

Looking at the lathe,Ithink it would be easier to hang the switch off the ways of the lathe

Where can I get and extrusion like seen here on the base of the rod support?

P6210001.jpg

I would attach a bracket to that and just move it as needed.

BTW... it is a Clemens lathe

cwm40.gif

I have a work shop biggrin.gif Duh!

I don't need any stinkin' extruded aluminum...

June2009025.jpg

Scrap pieces of red oak, an hour messing around and voila.. tongue.gif

Knee, thigh, hip switch...

I'll put it to the test tomorrow. My old 5M blank is refurbished and ready to be wrapped. I hope it works as well in use as it did in my simple try-out.

Just started a butt wrap and it works well while sitting... My knee on it is much more comfortable. I also found that operating it by hand is pretty cool too... One hand on the switch and the other on the carriage hand wheel.

Left or right handed....

I'm glad I didn't order that extruded t-slot track. I would have been out $100.

View Post I still modulate the speed between zero and my preset max by pushing more or less with my foot on the peddle. Same here! The only time my foot complains at all by cramping a little is when i do a really long underwrap for the crosswrap. Most days Ii'm ok but sometimes the old brain and fingers refuse to work together and I have to go slow so as not to cross over the prvious wrap. When this happens , that's when my foot sometimes cramps just on the outside top of my instep.

Do you step on it by rolling your foot onto the peddle?

I find this a lot more comfortable than trying to hold my foot off the peddle by using negative weighting. That is hard work when you are doing it for hours on end for a bunch of blanks.cwm27.gif

View PostJust started a butt wrap and it works well while sitting... My knee on it is much more comfortable. I also found that operating it by hand is pretty cool too... One hand on the switch and the other on the carriage hand wheel.

Left or right handed....That's cool man!!

I'm glad I didn't order that extruded t-slot track. I would have been out $100.

You cheap bastage!!biggrin.gif

Nice job on the cleat arrangement, and since it is wood, I guess it slides along nicely with a good shove?

Nope I don't roll my foot on it. Maybe I'll try that . It only gets aggrivating when I am doing a long continuous wrap like an underwrap on a cross wrap. Even that , when I am coordinated goes pretty quick at a high speed. Its those ****** days wheres every 1/2 inch I cross over that it gets cramped up.

Yes,it slides nicely and will move even better when it gets finished and waxed.

It worked out so well, I just may make a few more jigs in the same manner. One right off to help with the cord wrapping.

I may mount a small tray on top of this switch to hold my razor and other assorted small stuff.

Next up is a means to attach the lathe to the bench before I tip it over cwm27.gif

I see you're up late too. Back bothering you too? I can't freaken sleep mad.gif

I have problems with my right foot which prevents my operating the foot switch(pedal). I am dangerous operating it with my left foot.

I drilled a hole into the pedal then ran a screw through it into a 6 inch piece of PVC with a wood insert(dowel plug).

I even put an end cap on the end of the PVC to make it look pretty. The white PVC matches the white pedal which doesn't look too shabby.

I put the pedal right on the bed as a previous poster suggests, and operate it with my left hand while my right hand guides the thread.

Works for me. C2