Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SlingNeels

Why sit on tops?

24 posts in this topic

Well i have a sit in and my buddy has a sit on , his is about 3 ft longer than mine and i have wayyyy more room then him around my legs for tackle bags and what not and dont get nearly as wet...... We cant figure out why everyone uses the sit on's.

View PostWell i have a sit in and my buddy has a sit on , his is about 3 ft longer than mine and i have wayyyy more room then him around my legs for tackle bags and what not and dont get nearly as wet...... We cant figure out why everyone uses the sit on's.

Depends on where you are fishing. On the ocean, a sit on top is going to be a safer ride if it gets choppy. In the event you flip, you won't get filled up with water either. Plus you can stand up in some, dangle your legs off, and all that good stuff.

I have yet to buy my fishing yak, but I have used both types in lakes, whitewater, and the ocean.

They are so popular because they are self bailing and so hard to fill with water since they have an enclosed hull. They are also easier to get back into in deep water if you flip. And you can move around more so you don't get so cramped after hours of fishing. Sit ins are loads of fun but seem much more limited for fishing.

I have one of each, the SOT gets more use than the SIK. I like sitting a little higher when fishing and I have lots of room in each. Actually more usable in the SOT because I can get into the compartments easier when underway.

I love my sit in...Pungo 14. I fish in Maine off of the rocky coast. I don't surf launch as I have excellent access. Contrary to the previous post, I am actually able to take my boat out in chop and swells without a spray skirt. In fact, I was out on Sunday and it was quite rough (caught a 35 incher!). I didn't use a spray skirt and didn't need to pump or sponge any water out of the hull. I find this boat to be a perfect blend of speed and stability. Again contrary to the previous post it is extremely stable.

I have never accidentally dumped my boat. I have done so intentionally and have not problem getting back in. I do utilize float bags in my boat.

Guess it boils down to personal preference. I'd rather be in a boat as opposed to on one.

View PostDepends on where you are fishing. On the ocean, a sit on top is going to be a safer ride if it gets choppy. In the event you flip, you won't get filled up with water either. Plus you can stand up in some, dangle your legs off, and all that good stuff.

What he said icon14.gif

try a search....cwm13.gif you'll find this question answered about a hundred times....

can we sticky a list of 'why' most of us prefer SOT's for fishing??? i think this question gets asked about once a week.... or add it as required reading for newbs....

I use both. SIK and SOT. Each has advantages. When it's rough out, it's rough out. SOT's get washed up on beaches too.