Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CCG4444

Dewey Beach, DE

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, first time poster here and let me say I'm glad I found this forum. Lots of good info and entertaining reads.

Anyhow, I'll be vacationing in Dewey Beach, DE the first week in July. Would anyone have any info on what I can expect to catch from the surf, what tackle I need or some good spots to check out? Any info would be great.

Chris

View PostHey guys, first time poster here and let me say I'm glad I found this forum. Lots of good info and entertaining reads.

Anyhow, I'll be vacationing in Dewey Beach, DE the first week in July. Would anyone have any info on what I can expect to catch from the surf, what tackle I need or some good spots to check out? Any info would be great.

Chris

You are 10 years late...Search for old inlet bait and tackle Delaware. A lot of info and reports.

Indian River Inlet - Just south of Dewey. Fish swim shads and bucktails for blues and schoolie stripers. Bring Korkers that jetty is DANGEROUS. I use a 9' st croix legend surf w/ 30 lb braid.

3R's -just south or IRI - sharks, skates, snapper blue and maybe some kingfish. Put 1 rod in close, and one out far. Most just have been baiting w/ fresh bunker, mullet or peelers.

Cape Henlopen - Lewes DE, north of Dewey. Surf fishing or hit the pier. Pier i would use a spec rig or single jighead tipped w/ gulp swimming mullet, killies, spearing our any strip bait. Flounder would be the target there. 18.5" at 4 a day. I use a 7' Tidemaster rated .5 - 1.5 oz there.

Stop in at Bill's on Rt 1 in Lewes and im sure those guys can hook you up. O, and try the Delmarva forum, you will probably get more hits. Good Luck!!!

other than occasionally at 3Rs and Key Box Rd-surf fishing has not been good- surf primarily is a place for guys to park their jeeps and trucks and lie about how good it used to be. Wings is correct-try Old inLet B&T and Bills

View PostTanks for the info. So I take it fishing the surf would be a waste of time?

Its just not my style. Im more or less a jetty jockey than a surf guy. I never catch anything good in the surf, but some guys that are locals and know the holes and rips can produce some good fish. The only time i surf fish is when the wifey wants to lay on the beach cwm33.gif . Do whats fun for you. Don't forget roosevelt inlet in Lewes. You can pick up schooly stripers, snapper blues, and flounder.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be fishing IBSP this weekend and then overnight July 2. Maybe i'll get a couple small blues I can save and try at some sharks in Dewey at night off the surf just for fun.