Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WorcBoy

Berkely fireline braid reviews?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I put Fireline tracer on an Avet and an ABU, then on a Zx22 and now on a Zx25. I find it to be a better performer than Power-Pro. It feels better, doesn't fray as much, casts very well, no wind knots, doesn't dig in to the spool. It does feel a little thicker than Power Pro but I don't have measurements to prove it. Personally, I like it very much. Have been using it most of the season so far.

View PostHow does the braid compare to regular fireline?

Jigman

The 40 Braid equals the 30 regular Fireline in strength, at least in my amateur test. Considering how strong the regular is I was impressed.

View Postcompletely different Fireline is not a braid

Yes, but Fireline has some better attributes. It holds knots better and does not need as much tension on the spool to behave. It is also stiff at first then softens under use.

How does this new product hold knots? Can you tie a range of knots or do you have to work with a couple?

Is it limp off the spool or is there a break in period?

Someone addressed windknots (fewer than other braids), but how does it behave on a conventional?

View PostYes, but Fireline has some better attributes. It holds knots better and does not need as much tension on the spool to behave. It is also stiff at first then softens under use.

How does this new product hold knots? Can you tie a range of knots or do you have to work with a couple?

Is it limp off the spool or is there a break in period?

Someone addressed windknots (fewer than other braids), but how does it behave on a conventional?

I could be wrong but not everyone likes fireline either so that has its downs, too. it holds my standard knots just fine for me but those are what work fine for me. haven't noticed any slipping if tied correctly. the fireline braid SEEMS to be a little stiff at first, but i don't think it's as bad as it might seem. it almost feels stiff but soft. Not as bad as when i used PP but it broke in very nicely and break in time was hardly noticeable, if at all. it felt great during the first time casting and still performs quite well.

I've been fishing outgoings and haven't felt the need to keep tension on the line. started doing it at first but the past month or so i stopped bothering, even fishing with needles, not just metal lips and such. perhaps i should but i feel it lays on the spool nicely (and i've been checking regularly). if you were up north i'd let ya cast it if you were interested. same goes for worcboy - i'm in worcester, too and if you wanna check out the braid or meet up to wet a line PM me or give my neighbor john leary a call HappyWave.gif now that i think of it i'm supposed to give him a call

Thanks Sweetwater (and mikrok for the answers!), those were the types of things I was interested in also.

How is the fireline braid as far as abrassion restance? I know regular fireline cuts pretty easily around rock. I was considering the braid on a conventional to be used off the jettys and other rocky areas. Good application for it, or not? I've previously used regular fireline (30#) for that with a long fluro leader.

Jigman

View PostThanks Sweetwater (and mikrok for the answers!), those were the types of things I was interested in also.

How is the fireline braid as far as abrassion restance? I know regular fireline cuts pretty easily around rock. I was considering the braid on a conventional to be used off the jettys and other rocky areas. Good application for it, or not? I've previously used regular fireline (30#) for that with a long fluro leader.

Jigman

Jig man I haven't really done any formal abrasion tests which perhaps I should do when I get some time. However I have been putting it it up to real use at some rocky points and beaches eith lots of submerged rocks and I haven't noticed any stress above my 30"-36" 40-50lbs mono leader. And I do check constantly!

PS love your spooks!

PPS hope the grammar wasn't too bad I I'm driving right now

http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/s...ireline+tracer

Since then Its performed flawlessly and after a few hundred miles of casts it doesn't push the envelope in any categories. It does cast a bit smoother and further (after about 10 trips) but it has frayed a bit more than suffix or power pro at the terminal connection. Additionally an albright knot will not hold 40lb braid to 60lb mono leader. After Switching quite a few reels over, I have since stopped and will most likely go back to suffix or give daiwa samurai a shot.