Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBreese1

Abandoned/Salvage? boat at Belford

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just got in from a few hours fishing in N. Nonmouth Co. inside. At the Belford ferry terminal lot is a 14 to 16 foot fiberglass boat. It appears to have been dumped there or drug up from the beach. It has a NJ boat # and the most recent registration sticker is from 2003. It must be a pre 1975 since there is no HIN plate. This would make it easy to register it in NJ. It seems to be in pretty good shape other than a soft transom. If I didn't have the 20' boat and the 14' boat and the camper,jet ski's and canoes on the side of my house, I would drag it home. I mentioned it to the wife and she EXPLODEDmad.gif . If anyone is looking for a small fiberglass boat cheap this dosn't look to bad.

Jim

eh, 2 problems. 1, boat is not abandoned until 10 years I think has passed. 2, a soft transom is just about the worst/biggest problem you could ever have with a boat if mounting the engined to/through the transom.

If you're really interested, have a look, but be very weary. If you want a good deal on a cheap boat, go to your nearest boatyard and see if they have any abandoned boats they want to get rid of. Most times, every marina has 5-10 boats that have been surrendered to the yard because they could not afford their bill, etc. They will probably sell you anything for REAL cheap, as the space/land is more valluable than the boat in most cases.

Chief2, I know of all the pitfalls. I have brought back quite a few abandoned and salvaged boats. I just put this out there if anyone else was interested. I have replaced a few soft transomes, It's no big deal to me. There are also many ways around the 10 year rule.biggrin.gif

Jim

Just a heads up to boaters and wade fisherman. This hull was dragged down to the water & sunk at a very popular wading spot. I tripped over it last nightmad.gif and almost filled my waders. At dead low the top of the gunnels are just showing out of the water. Anything higher it's hidden until you trip on it or hit it with your prop.

Jim