Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveC

Fishing in NJ for 6-22-09 through 6-28-09

Rate this topic

125 posts in this topic

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader. Please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

DB- Delaware Bay

The water must have gotten a lot warmer because the small fluke are all over. I picked up some worms and took my nephew out yesterday for a few hours. He just lost his dad this spring. Every spot paid off in small fluke but no stripers. He had a good time and thats what counts.

I was reading the NOAA Forecast Discussion and the writer noted that,"..the onshore flow has kept the warm waters nearshore and preventing the upwelled southwesterlies to settle in. The surface flow should not change much for most of the week." As a result, " the water temperatures are several degrees above where they were at this time last year..."

Warm water better for fluke but worse for bass?

View PostThe water must have gotten a lot warmer because the small fluke are all over. I picked up some worms and took my nephew out yesterday for a few hours. He just lost his dad this spring. Every spot paid off in small fluke but no stripers. He had a good time and thats what counts.

Sorry to hear about your nephews loss. When I was younger my uncles did a lot with my brother and I, good memories.

Took my little guy fishing this morning for some sunnies/bass in the sweetwater. Older one had last day of pre-k.

Did my good deed of the day helping a dad and his little boy. Dad did not have a clue. First cut off all the line twist, then hooked him up with a whole new rig (old rig had a bobber, hook, metal lure of some sort, treble, and a big sinker). Kid was really nice asking some good questins which I answered then I showed him how to hold the spincast the right way and showed him how to cast. He said that his cast never went farther than his feet and didn't know how to use the button on the reel. 1st cast after I showed him, he hooked up with a sunnie, few casts later, he was casting farther than me. Dad was still checking his blackberry every 3 seconds for some reason beatin.gifbut then he was helping. Told them they were free to use my worms and gave them some after I left. I was pretty proud that I was able to help and the kid was really thankful and I am certain he will be catching a lot more now.

My little guy was self sufficient the entire time when I was instructing and was putting on a little clinic for one of the little girls that passed by and wanted to see and touch all the fish he caught. What a morning.

Mom is back out with both my boys for the afternoon bite now.

I'll be heading down tonight to the ocean to see if I can end the skunk. I know I should probably go with bait but it is hard to get bait after 8pm so I'll most likely plug. I think I am going to go to SH tonight, haven't been there in a while and I can use some exercise.

View PostTook my little guy fishing this morning for some sunnies/bass in the sweetwater. Older one had last day of pre-k.

Did my good deed of the day helping a dad and his little boy. Dad did not have a clue. First cut off all the line twist, then hooked him up with a whole new rig (old rig had a bobber, hook, metal lure of some sort, treble, and a big sinker). Kid was really nice asking some good questins which I answered then I showed him how to hold the spincast the right way and showed him how to cast. He said that his cast never went farther than his feet and didn't know how to use the button on the reel. 1st cast after I showed him, he hooked up with a sunnie, few casts later, he was casting farther than me. Dad was still checking his blackberry every 3 seconds for some reason beatin.gifbut then he was helping. Told them they were free to use my worms and gave them some after I left. I was pretty proud that I was able to help and the kid was really thankful and I am certain he will be catching a lot more now.

My little guy was self sufficient the entire time when I was instructing and was putting on a little clinic for one of the little girls that passed by and wanted to see and touch all the fish he caught. What a morning.

Mom is back out with both my boys for the afternoon bite now.

I'll be heading down tonight to the ocean to see if I can end the skunk. I know I should probably go with bait but it is hard to get bait after 8pm so I'll most likely plug. I think I am going to go to SH tonight, haven't been there in a while and I can use some exercise.

That was a great fishing report.

Fishingnuke and C4, great reports!

Saturday, saw a guy and a kid at SH, with pretty much no gear. The 11 yr old had a snag rig on a 6 ft rod. I asked if I could give him a jig with some gulp and rigged him up. Hopefully he got a fluke or I'm sure he would have been thrilled with even a sea robin.

Feels great to help out a young one.

C4, you're lucky. My 7 yr old lasts 10 minutes even when he's catching cwm27.gif

One short bass that came unbuttoned during the outgoing tide this morning. What's up with all this big swells lately? Is this because of the new moon, offshore storms?headscratch.gif

Last wknd I helped a fellow and his wife and kid, he was preparing to throw bunker head on a Hi-lo rig. He had wto set ups I reeled in the hi-lo rig and set that stick w/ clams and gave him some clams then I set his other rod w/ a fishfinder rig and bunker head, showed him to hook the bait and adjusted drag on both and instructed him to change out his bait periodically. Told him if blues show up pull in the clam set up and hold on to the fishfinder setup , otherwise adioskooky.gif

Must be lots of hardup fisherman around or just clueless. As I was backing my boat to fish for largemouth @ saylorsburg lake I was asked if I had any plastic worms. Gave him 2 and watched him catch a bass from shore I know I would have caughtsmile.gif. I landed 6 out of 8 so all is good.

Hovered around some jetties early this morning looking for that early bite in the OC/Brig area. Decided to throw the pencil, picked one bass (still lurking and behind the pack) at 41". Let her go to catch up with the pack. Headed back to another area and tossed bucktails and killie combo's for a nice catch of 5 fluke all in the 5-7 lb range. Pretty sick, since this was all off the jetties. Back out again the middle of the week. Anyone use those green jerk shads for flukin'? These things are killer. Had a few to tryout after the killie and shedder crabs were gone. I was glad to have those artificials with me. Looks like I found another item for the combo rigs.

View PostHovered around some jetties early this morning looking for that early bite in the OC/Brig area. Decided to throw the pencil, picked one bass (still lurking and behind the pack) at 41". Let her go to catch up with the pack. Headed back to another area and tossed bucktails and killie combo's for a nice catch of 5 fluke all in the 5-7 lb range. Pretty sick, since this was all off the jetties. Back out again the middle of the week. Anyone use those green jerk shads for flukin'? These things are killer. Had a few to tryout after the killie and shedder crabs were gone. I was glad to have those artificials with me. Looks like I found another item for the combo rigs.

Surf, what was the color and the weight of the pencil?,

I am also wondering, are you tossing RM Smith Dannies at all?

Made a few stops this afternoon to pick up sand worms for tomorrow, any GOOD reason that 3 bait shops didn't have them? Seems odd to me if you own a bait shop this time of year you should have what works.kooky.gif