Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bradW

E-Log for Recs...who's gonna participate??

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

so this, to me, looks like the first phase of the saltwater fishing license. im sure they will somehow weave this into the reporting aspect, but for now it is all vollunteer.

so, who's gonna participate??

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recre...ng/logbook.htm

The Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries (MA DMF) in conjunction with the Atlantic Coastal Cooperative Statistics Program (ACCSP) announces a new electronic angler logbook (eLogbook) for recreational anglers willing to provide data useful for management of marine fishes in Massachusetts. The eLogbook is a web database designed for recreational anglers to enter daily trip information on general location, gear used, and sizes of fish species that are harvested or released. Participating anglers can access and summarize their fishing data in tabular or graphical forms at anytime which is useful for tracking fishing successes.

I signed up a few days back just to get a look at what the survey was all about. Whether I'll participate or not...?

The questions are pretty lame, and I think you're on the right track C-clammer. This could well be Phase I of a saltwater license.

Interesting though, I was surveyed by someone working for NOAA about a month back on all places, Bell Rd. Of all the fisherman this very polite lady asked that day, I was the only one who agreed to participate in her survey. shakehead.gif

Her questions were a bit more in depth, but I sensed this data was also going towards the same end. A saltwater license.

View Post.....

Interesting though, I was surveyed by someone working for NOAA about a month back on all places, Bell Rd. Of all the fisherman this very polite lady asked that day, I was the only one who agreed to participate in her survey. shakehead.gif

Her questions were a bit more in depth, but I sensed this data was also going towards the same end. A saltwater license.

Toddman and I were also queried by that same gal at Bell Road. Interestingly, about a month ago.

Seems these folks get a call from their office and are told to show up at a certain place and survey fisherfolks for a certain time period.

View PostToddman and I were also queried by that same gal at Bell Road. Interestingly, about a month ago.

Seems these folks get a call from their office and are told to show up at a certain place and survey fisherfolks for a certain time period.

usually...or at least in many states they are not state employees, but rather federal contractors. So they do not report to MA DMF.

has it correct. Those that are doing any survey are funded by the Federal government and most get paid by the hour or interviews they do. In a good majority of the cases they do not even know the first thing about fishing, it is just another jobcwm15.gifbiggrin.gif

I keep a log already. Why don't they set up a template/spreadsheet so we can enter the data? In this era of Facebook and Twitter, this seems like a no-brainer.

View PostI keep a log already. Why don't they set up a template/spreadsheet so we can enter the data? In this era of Facebook and Twitter, this seems like a no-brainer.

There will need to be a "Skunked.....Again" check box for entries if I'm going to be able participate in this.

View Post In a good majority of the cases they do not even know the first thing about fishing, it is just another jobcwm15.gifbiggrin.gif

That was painfully obvious to me on the one occasion where I was surveyed. shakehead.gif

In fact, 95% of the interview dealt with how much money I spent on things like gas, lodging, meals, and related expenses per trip. Given the fact that the interview took place about a mile from my house, as the crow flies, my answer to all of those questions was "not a lot" wink.gif

View Post

In fact, 95% of the interview dealt with how much money I spent on things like gas, lodging, meals, and related expenses per trip. Given the fact that the interview took place about a mile from my house, as the crow flies, my answer to all of those questions was "not a lot" wink.gif

They have to do that now. Rec groups successfully lobbied that economic impact of regs be surveyed along with the catch. So as a result they ask long questions and don't hit as many anglers in any given day to survey their catch and effort

I'm sure the DMF must realize that some reported data they will be receiving from fishermen may be in error. That is, some fishermen may purposely either report more or less fish than they actually caught, or report no fish caught.

They want me to "participate" ? Great, they can pay me for my time.

If I go fishin' it's my own business. I fish to relax, not to have "big brother" ask me what I do with my time here on earth.beatin.gif