Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaFox22

23 open contender

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

OK so im looking at thsi contender which is a 2007 with a 250 yami. how is that .. boat is extremly light dry weight at 2800LBS big diffrence from the 23t. will this 23 open be any good. ive been in a 23t and i loved it.. what what you guys rather have a 234c mako or a 23open contendar even tho the conteddar is like 700lbs lighter

The open doesn't seem like it will ride as wel in rough seas as the tournament. The tournament seems to have a much steeper V in the front, making for a better ride. Also ithas that carolina style hull, where as the open is more of a bay-style bow. More open, just as fishable, if not more so, but would probably be a bit of a rougher ride.

BTW, in terms of this VS all of the other boats you asked about, This WITHOUT A QUESTION.

The open is a sweet ride Ive fished on them a bunch.the 23T is a 25' boat. The 23 open is great sea boat and economical as ur gonna get with that kind of hull a single motor dream. Leave the Tee top off if u really wanna be impressed.

The 23 open is a 23ft boat. The 23T is a 25ft boat. Big difference there. Some of their models are SKA measured at waterline. For example the 25 Open is actually a 28ft boat. etc

If it were my choice I would go Regulator 23. Quite possibly the best true 23ft boat made IMO. Never been a huge Contender fan and the resale on them is not very good due to a saturated market of used available right now.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Tight lines, Bob

I was in the keys on a charter on a contender and the boat road nice. When we headed home, without much fuel, the bow road up a little high, but the boat was fast as hell. The mako is also a nice boat, but I've never been on one.

The 23 open is an awesome boat and will outrun and outride just about every true 23' boat out there. Bob has mentioned the 23 Regulator and that's a nice boat, no doubt, but it is slower and much heavier which makes it very bow heavy and in heavy seas the Contender handles much better. just because it responds much better to engine trim and trim tab adjustments. The one thing I don't like about the Regulator is the step up to the bow area. I just think that is stupid. You can fall or trip coming coming down from the front in rought weather and this is why the level flooring in all of the Contenders is so nice. Take my word for it I owned a Contender for 10 years. It was down to it or the Regulator and I would have been happy with the Regulator but it got sold out from underneath of me and I went with the Contender. I'm glad it worked out that way. The Regulator actually ended up getting bought by a guy I knew at my marina and for years we used to run out together and back together. No matter the seas he was always behind me. He admitted many times over that while he liked his boat that the Contender was a better riding boat and faster boat. There is nothing rough about the ride of any Contender. Folks that make guesses that have never been on one really should not guess at what they will or won't do.

Also, that advertised weight of 2800lbs is for a bare hull with no hardware, gas tank or anything on it or in it for that matter. Go ahead and take that rig and put it on the scales and I'll bet you boat, motor and trailer are at about 6500lbs. Go ahead and ask me how I know that. Contender lists their weights this way for a reason. Also, if these boats were not all that then why do you think they dominate the kingfish circuit? The 23T is a heck of a boat but as noted it is 25' and it is about 30-40k more and needs twins.

I kept my Contender for so long because I just did not find any boat I liked better during that time and I had come from a Fountain and an Albemarle prior to the Contender. The Contender made a really nice fly fishing platform with the level flooring and deep sides for me to lean against when casting and fighting fish. I liked it better than any other boat I've ever owned. As noted it is perfect with a large single which makes it very economical. The Regulator is a pig with a single, unless you want to go with the Yamaha 350 now.

Also, as for retail. I used my boat for 10 years, took excellent care of it and sold it for exactly what I paid for it new 10 years earlier. How is that for resale? Oh, and it sold in one week and I had people literally fighting over who was going to get it.

Actually right now neither Contenders or Regulators are selling that well. There is a glut of them on the market. I was down in NC last weekend picking up a boat and the dealer had a considerable amount of regulators and they are not moving, new or used, so it is not just Contender.

View PostThe 23 open is an awesome boat and will outrun and outride just about every true 23' boat out there. Bob has mentioned the 23 Regulator and that's a nice boat, no doubt, but it is slower and much heavier which makes it very bow heavy and in heavy seas the Contender handles much better. just because it responds much better to engine trim and trim tab adjustments. The one thing I don't like about the Regulator is the step up to the bow area. I just think that is stupid. You can fall or trip coming coming down from the front in rought weather and this is why the level flooring in all of the Contenders is so nice. Take my word for it I owned a Contender for 10 years. It was down to it or the Regulator and I would have been happy with the Regulator but it got sold out from underneath of me and I went with the Contender. I'm glad it worked out that way. The Regulator actually ended up getting bought by a guy I knew at my marina and for years we used to run out together and back together. No matter the seas he was always behind me. He admitted many times over that while he liked his boat that the Contender was a better riding boat and faster boat. There is nothing rough about the ride of any Contender. Folks that make guesses that have never been on one really should not guess at what they will or won't do.

Also, that advertised weight of 2800lbs is for a bare hull with no hardware, gas tank or anything on it or in it for that matter. Go ahead and take that rig and put it on the scales and I'll bet you boat, motor and trailer are at about 6500lbs. Go ahead and ask me how I know that. Contender lists their weights this way for a reason. Also, if these boats were not all that then why do you think they dominate the kingfish circuit? The 23T is a heck of a boat but as noted it is 25' and it is about 30-40k more and needs twins.

I kept my Contender for so long because I just did not find any boat I liked better during that time and I had come from a Fountain and an Albemarle prior to the Contender. The Contender made a really nice fly fishing platform with the level flooring and deep sides for me to lean against when casting and fighting fish. I liked it better than any other boat I've ever owned. As noted it is perfect with a large single which makes it very economical. The Regulator is a pig with a single, unless you want to go with the Yamaha 350 now.

Also, as for retail. I used my boat for 10 years, took excellent care of it and sold it for exactly what I paid for it new 10 years earlier. How is that for resale? Oh, and it sold in one week and I had people literally fighting over who was going to get it.

Actually right now neither Contenders or Regulators are selling that well. There is a glut of them on the market. I was down in NC last weekend picking up a boat and the dealer had a considerable amount of regulators and they are not moving, new or used, so it is not just Contender.

With all due respect there are a couple statements that are incorrect. The regulators are far out selling contenders right now. Trust me , it's my business everyday. The contenders and fountains seem to be kind of a blue collar boat (Absolutely nothing bad meant by that as I consider myself part of that group) a lot were purchased by guys in the building business a few years ago when the building market was hot. Now as we know it is not so hot and there are a lot of contenders for sale.

I have run every contender except the 36. My favorite was the 25 with twin 200 HPDI's. That was a very nice pairing. As I said before it is my opinion that the Regulator is the better riding, built, and value for a boat in the true 23 class. Also from my personal experience the bow does not dip on the reg in heavy seas, as a matter of fact I feel the opposite would be a better observation. The Reg has a much higher bow to begin with which also makes the ride dryer, and dialing in the trim is really no different. If anything the the added weight of the reg gives it a better ride. Some believe that the heavier boat will always perform better in big seas than a lighter boat. That IMO is not always the case but it is in this one. The Contender will be slightly faster on the WOT but the ride of the Reg will be far better and dryer.

Resale value is all based on supply and demand. Every boat I have owned I have sold for a profit or broken even on. Just matter of buying it right.

As far as SKA goes I am not sure how much the boat really has to do with winning but I will be fishing this year in the nationals on the boat that won the SKA nationals 23 class last year and it was not a contender or a reg. It was the Onslow Bay 23T which will put a spanking on both of these boats we are discussing. I would put the Onslow against the 31 Contender or the 29 Reg any day of the wek in real snot.

My advise would be first to do research on a boating site that has a little larger source to pull from than here. The boating forum here is very very small and you will not have many guys here that have actually run either of these boats. Second would be to run both yourself on a snot day and make up your own mind. Try to do both seatrials back to back on the same day if possible in the same conditions.

Almost forgot, the step up on the Reg IMO is really perfect. Other brands put the step up start two feet in front of the console which really makes for a dangerous setup. The Reg starts mid console so when you are up front there is no worry of stepping back off the platform while fishing. Aslo for the record Reg is no longer making the classic. Only available in the FS now which I hate in any brand of boat personally.

Good luck and let us know what you choose. Tight lines, Bob

Bob,

I certainly respect your opinions but I'm in the business too (marine insurance, surveying, estimating, damage appraisal, maritime litigation,etc) and right now I don't see Regulator having any leg up on Contender. Sure the market is flooded right now with Contenders as you state and as a result their resale is down a little but when I sold mine (2 years ago) it was not and there were a lot of regulators similarly priced and mine sold in less than a week and most of the regulators sat there for over 6 months and that was when the market was hot. Of course in my experience it seems that most folks paid too much for their Regulators when they bought them and are trying to recover too much. Like Bob said, buying them right in the first place makes all of the difference. I bought a Jones Brothers 20 1.5 years ago and kept it for about 15 months and sold it for more than I paid new and it sold in one day! I see some JB's that have been on the market for well over 6 months and I think one for a year so one could make the same sort of argument for them but it's not the boat it's folks asking too much money for them.

Everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. That's what this board is for. I voiced mine as did you. Again, the 23 Regulator is a very nice boat, I love the lines and they are one of the best built boats on the market. However, we will just have to disagree on the ride and handling as compared to the 23 Contender. My 10 years of day to day experience with the boat with many head to head runs against the regulator just don't support the Regulator being a better handling or running boat. It is good, don't get me wrong but it's not as good as the Contender. I'd put it on the same level as my 24 Albemarle, another great boat!

In fact you mention going to other larger boating sites to get addtl info. This topic has been hotly debated for years and the majority there also agreed the Contender was the better ride overall between the two. Also, remember the Contender v. Cat shootout a few years ago. Cat owners kept on and on about how their boats were better than any mono hull. Contender won that debate too in some really nasty slop. I have no personal stake in this debate as I don't own either any longer but wanted to give this SOL member some real world experience. Currently own a Jones Brothers and love it. Not a big rough water boat but it's good enough for my current type of fishing and the performance is quite surprising for such a low deadrise boat (can you say sharp carolina entry).

As for the Fountain, I hated it. Never was more glad to get rid of a boat in my life. That's all I'll say.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly debate and Bob again I respect your opinion, this is what is great about this site. We can get real world feedback from a lot of informed members and then hopefully make an informed decision. Can't ask more than that!

View PostBob,

I certainly respect your opinions but I'm in the business too (marine insurance, surveying, estimating, damage appraisal, maritime litigation,etc) and right now I don't see Regulator having any leg up on Contender. Sure the market is flooded right now with Contenders as you state and as a result their resale is down a little but when I sold mine (2 years ago) it was not and there were a lot of regulators similarly priced and mine sold in less than a week and most of the regulators sat there for over 6 months and that was when the market was hot. Of course in my experience it seems that most folks paid too much for their Regulators when they bought them and are trying to recover too much. Like Bob said, buying them right in the first place makes all of the difference. I bought a Jones Brothers 20 1.5 years ago and kept it for about 15 months and sold it for more than I paid new and it sold in one day! I see some JB's that have been on the market for well over 6 months and I think one for a year so one could make the same sort of argument for them but it's not the boat it's folks asking too much money for them.

Everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. That's what this board is for. I voiced mine as did you. Again, the 23 Regulator is a very nice boat, I love the lines and they are one of the best built boats on the market. However, we will just have to disagree on the ride and handling as compared to the 23 Contender. My 10 years of day to day experience with the boat with many head to head runs against the regulator just don't support the Regulator being a better handling or running boat. It is good, don't get me wrong but it's not as good as the Contender. I'd put it on the same level as my 24 Albemarle, another great boat!

In fact you mention going to other larger boating sites to get addtl info. This topic has been hotly debated for years and the majority there also agreed the Contender was the better ride overall between the two. Also, remember the Contender v. Cat shootout a few years ago. Cat owners kept on and on about how their boats were better than any mono hull. Contender won that debate too in some really nasty slop. I have no personal stake in this debate as I don't own either any longer but wanted to give this SOL member some real world experience. Currently own a Jones Brothers and love it. Not a big rough water boat but it's good enough for my current type of fishing and the performance is quite surprising for such a low deadrise boat (can you say sharp carolina entry).

As for the Fountain, I hated it. Never was more glad to get rid of a boat in my life. That's all I'll say.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly debate and Bob again I respect your opinion, this is what is great about this site. We can get real world feedback from a lot of informed members and then hopefully make an informed decision. Can't ask more than that!

Well done, I like being able to have a debate without it becoming ugly. Rare these days to say the least. Also nice to see someone in the business here. Maybe we can make this forum bigger after all!

We'll just have to disagree on the ride and I am fine with that. I just think if you had run the Reg for 10 years you may feel the same about it. Maybe not though. If we all liked the same boat their would be only one brand.

I must say that you do have good taste in boats because I also run a Jones Brothers. Matter of fact I have become pretty good buds with Donnie over the last few years. JB's have an incredible resale. I always have my boat up for sale. I have had mine sold three times this year and I backed out on the first two. Finally agreed to sell it to a guy in SD California late fall so I don't have to go boatless for any on season time. Be careful about the JB's listed online that you are refering to though. Most of them were sold quite a while ago and the dealers have not removed the ads. I don't know why that is but it's certain. For a strech about three months ago there was not one leftover or used CF20 anywhere. Had a bud looking for one and even Donnie could not find one for him at any of the dealers. D took two back from a couple dealers that had not been paying floor plan and I sold them both in 48 hours(CF26 and CF20).

I also agree with the ride of the jones. Although they look alot like the parkers there is no comparing the rides. Very deceptive because when you look at the specs you wouldn't expect the ride to be as good as it is.

Which JB are you running now?

I love the simple layout and fish ability of the 23 Jones and I'm considering that ride for next season. What Yamaha pwr do u think is right on that rig. The twin F200s on my rig are tough on the wallet when times are tight, It ll be a sad day steppin out of my cape horn though.

View PostI love the simple layout and fish ability of the 23 Jones and I'm considering that ride for next season. What Yamaha pwr do u think is right on that rig. The twin F200s on my rig are tough on the wallet when times are tight, It ll be a sad day steppin out of my cape horn though.

JB CF23 no question the F250 is the right power. Fly by wire now as well!drool.gif

FYI - I own the CF Jones Brothers 23 w/ Yamaha 225. I am very happy w/ the performance overall and don't know of anyone w/ the 250 engine. The boat has been a dream and I would agree in your statement regarding the simple clean layout. Donnie Jones @ the factory is the best w/ follow up and if I were to trade up it would be for a JB 26. Right now this boat fits my fishing needs perfectly.

Regards,

Steve - GAME ON

View PostI'll be on Cape for the next 2 weeks. I am going to Ryders Cove and look at a JB. After all the hype, I just need to see one of these.

"Perfected Simplicity" Best way to describe Donnies boats