Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Shoe

Finn Norr Sucks

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Bought a Finn Norr last year for my north shore stick. Mostly plug/teaser fishing for schoolies. Lost about $75 worth of plugs till I cut the d*** bail off the thing. This spring I was fishing again with it late at night on a bar when the gears went all rough and hard to turn. Sensativity went right out the window. Couldn't feel the bump to save my life. For unknown reasons, an hour later the roughness worked itself out. Except now when ever I set a hook on a fish the drag when slip with a loud zzzzz. I couldn't hook a single fish all night. Heard my buddies laugh from 20 yards away every time the reel sang. The reel was not mistreated but was well maintained. Its going in the garbage. Now I gotta find a replacement. Can't afford a Van Staal. Like the old Penn 550 or 5500's. Gotta see what the old lady will let me spend.redface.gif

I used to fix them in at tackle store for people I hate to say it but they are great for people on vacation that will only use it a couple times but if you are serious dont buy them they are pices of sheet as you say . sorta like the bic lighter throw away and alot of the low end shimano reels are the same good for a few trips but go bad quick like you said the penn 550 or 5500 is pretty good easy to clean less parts more reliable I love penn I am looking for a 706z

and some 704s that work but not in great shape if anyone has any hit me up I cant pay alot on a fixed buget and all if they are in the garage and you need them out of the way i would like a chance at them

A bought one fin nor combo years ago and the rod broke the first trip out throwing a crystal minnow and the reel started grinding soon after. Never had a grain of sand in it. The gears were just off. Never bought another one.

View PostI Just Bought The Ahab 16 ...is That Junk As Well? Or Just The Fin Nor Versions?

Ahabs with the stainless gears were great HD spinning reels but not braid friendly,only problem with them was the one way bearing if you dunked, or blasted it with a hose after fishing.

Blasting reels with a hose was OK on old reels with bushings but destroys newer reels, a fine mist is better on any reel

Got a Fin Nor Ahab 12 for the holidays two years ago. Brought it with me to surf fish the M last year. A football field of bunker showed up with Bass in hot pursuit. I lost about all my pencil poppers due to the bail closing shut when casting. I caught bout 1/4 of the fish I should have that day. Everyone around me was hooking up on every other cast. It was like the fish were committing suicide on anything that was being thrown out that day. I think the guy on the rock next to me couldn't help but laugh after I lost my 3rd plug!!! The other half the time I was dealing with wind knots from using braid. Using this reel was the most frustrating experience I every had fishing. Switched to the VS 200 this year and will never go back. I won't even use this reel for a back up (got a 704z). I keep it around now because my father-in-law got it for me and he bragged about how great a reel it was. I don't wanna piss the old lady's dad off.

They used to be good. This mega lite is at least 10+ years old and still going strong after catching dozens of Bonito and False Albacore every year since buying it. For it's size no other reel can match it's over sized & still smooth mega drag. I replaced the handle about 6 years ago and there is a little play in the gears but for what it's been through I really can't complain about a $20 handle. Many Shimano Sustains (horrible bail flipping) and stradics as well as Daiwa capricorns have failed for me while the Fin Nor Ahab keeps chugging along.

Yep, I have one of those older mega-lite outfits ( rod & reel) I'd still be using it if I didn't fall in love with my Sustain/Loomis backbay combo.. Its still sitting on the bench just in case I need it...

View PostThey used to be good. This mega lite is at least 10+ years old and still going strong after catching dozens of Bonito and False Albacore every year since buying it. For it's size no other reel can match it's over sized & still smooth mega drag. I replaced the handle about 6 years ago and there is a little play in the gears but for what it's been through I really can't complain about a $20 handle. Many Shimano Sustains (horrible bail flipping) and stradics as well as Daiwa capricorns have failed for me while the Fin Nor Ahab keeps chugging along.

Ditto. I've got one even older (black version) and it's still in use after catching literally thousands of fish. Best drag on a small spinner EVER! When I heard they were re-introducing the MegaLite 2 years ago, I was very happy. That is, until I purchased one before this season. My first clue that things had changed was when I went to remove the spool from the reel. The old versions had a great system whereby you could unscrew/remove the spool without loosening the drag. Removing the spool would reveal that huge cork drag. Well, that design is history & in its place your typical small spinning reel drag washers housed inside the spool itself. Extremely disappointing! On top of that, they still have the balls to keep the "MegaDrag" logo on the reel mad.gif . I've finally got it spooled for fishing & plan on taking it though its paces, but to be honest I don't expect much more than your run of the mill small spinner on the market today. It's a shame when a company takes a successful design & for no apparent reason decides to mess with it.

They were purchased by WC Bradley a few years back--now they're what I call a "Zebco in a tuxedo". wink.gif

The Ahabs are still a solid reel but are horrendous with braid. Before I sell the one my wife bought me for Christmas a couple of years back, I have to give it a shot with Fireline. It's a 16 and it doesn't hold enough mono for my needs right now.

View PostBought a Finn Norr last year for my north shore stick. Mostly plug/teaser fishing for schoolies. Lost about $75 worth of plugs till I cut the d*** bail off the thing. This spring I was fishing again with it late at night on a bar when the gears went all rough and hard to turn. Sensativity went right out the window. Couldn't feel the bump to save my life. For unknown reasons, an hour later the roughness worked itself out. Except now when ever I set a hook on a fish the drag when slip with a loud zzzzz. I couldn't hook a single fish all night. Heard my buddies laugh from 20 yards away every time the reel sang. The reel was not mistreated but was well maintained. Its going in the garbage. Now I gotta find a replacement. Can't afford a Van Staal. Like the old Penn 550 or 5500's. Gotta see what the old lady will let me spend.redface.gif

Your anti-reverse bearing got wet, and then the little roller bearing in it became corroded. I had the same thing happen on an Ahab 8A. I replaced the anti-reverse bearing and it was good as new. The part is not cheap, but I got the customer service rep to send it free by quoting their ad at the time (which stayed something about the reel being made for a salt environment) and then pointing out it was not able to take a quick dunking.

The Ahab has now been relegated to a boat reel, where it performs well. For the surf rod, I replaced the Ahab with a Penn Slammer and have been happy with that choice ever since.