Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Should Manny be allowed to play in the Minor Leagues before his Suspension is over???

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

In my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to play professional baseball ever again, or at the very minimum have received a 2 year ban.....50 game ban is a joke....But there again MLB have never had any great desire to clean up their game, being forced in the first place to introduce some penalties for juicers, which in itself shows that they have no real passion to eliminate the cheating which goes on.

View PostIn my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to play professional baseball ever again, or at the very minimum have received a 2 year ban.....50 game ban is a joke....But there again MLB have never had any great desire to clean up their game, being forced in the first place to introduce some penalties for juicers, which in itself shows that they have no real passion to eliminate the cheating which goes on.

I agree with this - as much as MLB is trying to distance themselves from players such as Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa, they embraced them - or at least looked the other way - back when they were hitting homeruns like crazy. When it benefited baseball, steroids were 'good'...kooky.gif

That's why I have mixed feelings calling some of these players cheaters - especially those from the years baseball (in my opinion) encouraged these players to gain every advantage they could. However, given the current climate regarding steroid use in baseball, these current players should know better and players like Manny should be caned if for nothing else, their sheer stupidity - let alone cheating

View PostIn my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to play professional baseball ever again, or at the very minimum have received a 2 year ban.....50 game ban is a joke....But there again MLB have never had any great desire to clean up their game, being forced in the first place to introduce some penalties for juicers, which in itself shows that they have no real passion to eliminate the cheating which goes on.

Your theory sounds good and punishment times sound great too, but it is not MLB to decide these things. The players union and MLB hash this out on a bargaining table. The players union is the one to blame!

View PostYour theory sounds good and punishment times sound great too, but it is not MLB to decide these things. The players union and MLB hash this out on a bargaining table. The players union is the one to blame!

If that is the case then the Union, and ALL of the players that it represents are a downright disgrace to the name of sport.

If the membership of the union were true sportsmen, and really wanted to stamp this juicing business out once and for all, then the members should tell the Union to agree to at least fall in line with the majority of other sporting organisations, as far as Baseball is concerned.....A minimum 2 year ban for a first offence, and a lifetime ban for a second and subsequent offence.

After all a 50 game ban in a season comprising of 161 games represents a punishment equal to less than a third of a season

Most likely, Manny's contract or Union rules say he can't be sent down to the minors unless it was to rehab from an injury. Don't think cheating is classified as a rehab type injury.

View PostIf that is the case then the Union, and ALL of the players that it represents are a downright disgrace to the name of sport.

If the membership of the union were true sportsmen, and really wanted to stamp this juicing business out once and for all, then the members should tell the Union to agree to at least fall in line with the majority of other sporting organisations, as far as Baseball is concerned.....A minimum 2 year ban for a first offence, and a lifetime ban for a second and subsequent offence.

After all a 50 game ban in a season comprising of 161 games represents a punishment equal to less than a third of a season

Do unions in your country make a habit of looking out for the best interests of their industry, or do they do what unions are supposed to do, which is look out for the best interests of their membership?

Trade unions existed in the UK long before they existed here, and if I recall my history correctly, some of them even threatened to strike during WW 2 and other times of national emergency.

View PostDo unions in your country make a habit of looking out for the best interests of their industry, or do they do what unions are supposed to do, which is look out for the best interests of their membership?

Trade unions existed in the UK long before they existed here, and if I recall my history correctly, some of them even threatened to strike during WW 2 and other times of national emergency.

Ouch!!!!! But exactly right in every detail as regard the UK Trade Union movement, and as with your goodself sir, I too think the past actions of many such Unions were abhorrent. And as far as such actions being taken in the best interests of their membership, whilst on face value that may have seemed to be the case, there was undoubtedly hidden agendas involved on many occasions.

Having rightly pointed out the shortcomings of the movement over on this side of the pond, I am then a little surprised that you seem to feel it is OK for the players Union to bargain for such paltry penalties in the event of its membership being caught cheating in the course of their employment. I am also surprised at the membership for obviously endorsing such a stance on their behalf, by their representitive body.

IMHO, such actions by both parties, shows their is no great desire to clean the game of Baseball up by either the players or their Union, and I repeat that a 50 game ban for a first offence, which represents no more than around a 2 month period, is derisory. to put it mildly......If they really had any true intent, then they would fall in line with many other sports as far as punishing juicers (cheats) and if caught, ban them for 2 years for a first offence, and kick them out of the game for life if caught a second time.